E4OD Fresh Rebuild Still Have Issues

CarolinaIDI

Reaction score
I will start off by saying that I have a 1993 F-250 XLT 4x4 with the 7.3 IDI 182k miles.
I recently purchased the truck as it was a good deal and appeared to be mechanically sound. Soon after buying it, I noticed the OD light flashing. I then start experiencing erratic shifting in and out of of OD and shifting through the other gears at times.
I took the truck to a tranny shop and after they tore it down I was told the tranny was “tired” and do for a rebuild. Ok, no problem. I pick the truck up and it drives home fine. I take a trip to the store later that day and notice coming home it felt like OD was slipping in and out slightly. Later that night I go to drive it again and OD light is flashing. Shifting then becomes erratic again. So I take the truck back to the shop. The mechanic determines it was a defective solenoid. He replaces the solenoid then told me the problem was still there so he believes it was some sort of defective pump in the torque converter. He replaced the pump and I picked the truck up today. The truck ran like a champ on the way home. However, after I made a few trips I noticed erratic shifting in OD but not as severe as before. Shift points just don’t seem right at times. I have no OD light flashing though.
The mechanic didn’t seem to think it’s an electrical problem and said he always replaces “all electronics” when he rebuilds.
Could it possibly be the Tach Sensor or FIPl causing the issue? The tach sensor has some bare wire showing around the nut and occasionally the Tach doesn’t read until I give it throttle.
Any help or suggestions is appreciated. I really don’t want to deal with the tranny shop anymore.

quickster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look in the stickies for setting the proper voltage for the fipl. I'd replace the tach sensor too just to make sure. My '91 had a tach that wouldn't read until the dash warmed up. The trans didn't act up, so it was just how the needle itself acted. Where in S Carolina? I'll be down there in a few months knock on wood.

CarolinaIDI

Reaction score
Look in the stickies for setting the proper voltage for the fipl. I'd replace the tach sensor too just to make sure. My '91 had a tach that wouldn't read until the dash warmed up. The trans didn't act up, so it was just how the needle itself acted. Where in S Carolina? I'll be down there in a few months knock on wood.
Ok thanks! I’m going to replace the tach sensor tomorrow and then I’ll work on the FIPL. I live in York County.

Fort Ford

Reaction score
Yeah you definitely need to get that TPS/FIPL fixed. Same problem on mine. When the OD light is flashing it's in "limp mode" and it'll trash your tranny rebuild in a hurry. Same problem on mine, whenever it is flashing I stop, shut it down, and go wiggle the wiring harness, and then it works again for awhile. I got a new wiring harness because the plastic retaining clip was broken on the old one, but it didn't permanently solve the problem. Next plan is to actually wire in new pins on the new clip, see if it gets a better connection.

I had my entire injection pump rebuilt with a new sensor, so I know the sensor itself is good. It's just the wiring harness getting a bad connection that causes the faulty reading to trip the limp mode.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tach Sensor, Speed sensor in the rear axle, FIPL voltage and make sure the Brake light bulbs and contacts are clean and working correctly, also the hazard circuit in the multifunction switch/turn signal switch module which powers up the rear brake lights. Sometimes if the truck has a trailer plug added without actually having the Ford tow package installed there can be issues with the brake light circuits having shorts or high resistance to ground after all these years. The brake light circuit is tied into the TCC solenoid circuit so if it's not balanced correctly it can cause locking/unlocking of the TCC which is normally engaged in 3rd and OD. Also make sure the condition of the wiring harness and connector where it goes into the Solenoid pack is in good condition and not chaffed through anywhere.