E4OD computer location?

sootman73

Reaction score
oh and just curious. why are you looking for the module? what problems do you have(if any)?

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ben ya stole my pic. Oh I don't care just glad to see squirrel mobile is helping others.

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1992 f250 that I picked up with a blown transmission. I also picked up a 1989 ambulance. The transmission in the ambulance was supposed to be good. I took the output shaft and extension housing from the blow transmission and the good 2wd ambulance tranny to a tranny shop and had them convert it to 4x4.

I installed the transmission in the f250 and was able to drive it. It didnt drive correct so I pulled codes.

I did put 50-70 miles on it. The symptoms were that when warmed up and having driven a bit, after coming to a stop and begining to accelerate again, it would not engage 1st gear untill the engine was at nearly 1500 rpm. Same with shifting into reverse. When it did get going, it was really winding out 1st gear even when going easy. It would not shift until almost 3000rpm or until I took my foot back off the throttle.

It came back with 29 = insufficient speed sensor input, 49 = 1-2 shift error and 62 = 4/3 or 3/2 pressure switch circuit failed open OR Converter clutch error (E4OD).

I went back and pulled the computer from the ambulance in the hopes that I can swap it in and it will be fine, suspecting that there are some slight differences in the valving that the 1992 computer isnt programmed for.

I did also take it back the to transmission shop and the tech took it for a drive with me. He recommended swapping out the valve body with the one from the blown tranny.

I have started going through the valve body cleaning it out..... used 9 cans of brake cleaner already.:sly

My plan now is to try swapping the computer and rear speed sensor at the diff and perhaps even the MSLP sensor with the other ones before swapping the valve body.

What are your thoughts on this issue and how to best handle it? Thanks alot!

Last edited:

frank-id

Full Access Member
Reaction score
E4OD trans interchange

The E4OD trans I have bought for my 2 wheel drive had to be only 1989-1991. Other trans had an electric speedo as my truck has a cable drive. I tried changing the speedo sensor but the main shaft is made different. To change the shaft, the unit must be disassembled. The computer interchange is very critical also. Many trans internal parts are not interchangeable. Frank

sootman73

Reaction score
have they tested the solenoid pack? there are a lot of problems that stem from that. ehich controls all of the shifts and TC lock/unlock. if you bought a rebuilt one its probably bad. the rebuilt ones dont mean anything. my tranny guy has goten so many bad rebuilt ones that he only buys new now.

but it sounds like you have a problem with the speed input. which is probably where its all starting. the computer can be reset. no need to change the computer. its the most durable electronic in the truck. very very unlikely that there is a problem with that. and i've had numerous problems when i put a 2wd computer in a 4wd drive truck. there are different wiring patterns in the plug. keep your computer. figure out why the speed input code is popping up. thats where i would start.

btw i would have replaced all the hard parts in that 89 trans with everything that was good in the 92. i know the forward drum drive shafts weren't hardened in the early years and would peel the splines right off the shaft. my brother just did this in his 351W f250.

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was wrong with the ambulance when you bought it for taking the trans out. I might be looking for some goodies for mine.

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try to figure out why the speed sensor code is popping up. I pulled the sensor and it checked out but i will try swapping in a different known good one just for kicks.

After that I will try changing out the computer.

Compu Doc,
As to the condition of the abmbulance, it was parked when the rear end blew and the cab is severely rusted. what might you be looking for?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will try to figure out why the speed sensor code is popping up. I pulled the sensor and it checked out but i will try swapping in a different known good one just for kicks.

After that I will try changing out the computer.

Compu Doc,
As to the condition of the ambulance, it was parked when the rear end blew and the cab is severely rusted. what might you be looking for?

Lenses from the red lights if it still has them on the side of the box and the white ones also. Also the inverter if it has one and I think there might also be the charger. whats left in the box that's useful? Who was the manufacturer of the box? Maybe even the glass from the mirrors on the door if there the same mirrors I have.

The secondary alternator system and the voltage regulator from the secondary system. I have one made by Hehrs power system that needs to be replaced. Perhaps even the leece neville alternator. would be nice to have a spare.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online