E40D Overdrive help

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok... stupid question... What and where is the TECA. I'm not familiar with that part.

The teca is a rally. On my 89 truck it is found near the coolant recovery tank. It is a square electrical box about 1 inch square. Just goggle it or look for the testing methods of utube. They really helped me figure out why my tach quit working and why my trans was in limp home mode. As I posted already. I ran a jumper hot wire directly from the passenger side battery to power this teca. Once you find the wire feeding power to this relay just a simple jumper wire tells you if the relay is ruined or its not getting power thru the harness fuseable links.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary, your very,very close. the TECA stands for Transmission Electronic Control Assembly.AKA trans control unit,the brain,trans controller.the actual little box that does the controlling.
the trans control relay is just the switch that powers her up.;Sweet

oh,it's location is easy to find too (easy to get to in the 8th gens,as it slides out from inside the cab/difficult to remove in the 9th gen as it is removed from under the hood) as it's right down on the firewall.near the drivers side hood hinge.just to the side and downward of the brake booster.
you'll see the large connector on it held on with the 10mm bolt in the center.

Last edited:

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I threw a new relay in mine today. It did not help the starting in third problem, however the old relay was bad, when it switched, it only dumped out 11 volts...so just because it's switching, does not nessasarily mean it's giving full voltage. I guess next step is test resistance to the tranny.

I just wish I could remember the simple "fix" I did when it started acting like this after I changed out the pot metal ignition lever in the steering column. It was simple and quick so I didn't take note of it....sheesh

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What years are those generations you speak of?

8th gen (87-91), or we call them on here, Bricknose:

You must be registered for see images attach

9th gen (92-97 (94.5 was the end of the IDI)), or as we call them on here, OBS: (Old Body Style, Original Body Style)

7th gen (80-86 (83-86 the only IDI years)), which didn't have an E4OD as an option, or as we call them on here, Bullnose or Slantnose:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I threw a new relay in mine today. It did not help the starting in third problem, however the old relay was bad, when it switched, it only dumped out 11 volts...so just because it's switching, does not nessasarily mean it's giving full voltage. I guess next step is test resistance to the tranny.

I just wish I could remember the simple "fix" I did when it started acting like this after I changed out the pot metal ignition lever in the steering column. It was simple and quick so I didn't take note of it....sheesh

maybe the pins are corroded or you have the same issue Gary did with a bad fuseable link.

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still having the same prob. I've got power on each side of all fuse links, od switch is working correctly. Cleaned transmission connection and have a new relay with good clean connections. Speedo n tach working. Anything else to check? I'll be chasing wires from the relay to the transmission today to check for continuity. Thinking it may be internal solenoids. I've done everything I can without a meter. Thanks

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy do i ever appreciate the help. I've been right thru that connection, but I'll get in there and check it again. Is a no flashing od light indicative of no codes? If I'm having problems with my tranny....WHY am I not getting an od flash? Kinda one of them rare times you want a check light to come on eh? Thanks again, I'm hoping to get to it today or Monday, got an ip to pull off a 5.9 first, tractors always come first.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the connection on the pass side of trans itself? There should be a shield there to keep the heat from the exhaust from melting the wires. If you remove it, don't pry it, squeeze the locking tab and pull up with the wires.

Attachments

• E4OD sol. pack.jpg
    E4OD sol. pack.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 33

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got in there earlier and cleaned it up, one of the first things I did. I flushed it till cleaner ran clean, blew it dry, twice, then greased it....however I did not visually inspect my work. I'll be getting down in there again hopefully Monday and put my eyeballs on it

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....and yes, od light seems to be working correctly, and still starting in third. Thanks