E-Series Fender removal- ONE bolt away...

SDEconVan

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi 79jasper, riotwarrior,

I'm thinkin just make a new flap (original crumbled in my hands.) I can make a new one out of bicycle inner tube rubber.
You must be registered for see images attach

The rubber flap was dried out and curled "open." There was a second part to the Flap, like a large rectangular o-ring made
out of softer rubber like weatherstripping, probably to seal the Flap. Was this thing THAT important??? (I know how engineering
battles middle management, and if that Flap wasn't important, they'd axe it. I better take it seriously for the time being.)

To keep debris out of the cowl tub in the future, maybe I'll stem the flow of leaves/pieces at the top, by sticking window
screen
mesh on the backside of the cowl panel. My cowl panel is a bunch of slits, the leaves and pine needles go through
it easily, so window screen stuck on the underside of the panel using Hot Melt glue will do the job(?) Vans never came with the
panels that were a bunch of little holes like a salt shaker which I've seen on some trucks, here's what I got:

You must be registered for see images attach

(That said, I don't think I'll store this van for 20+ years in a shed overgrown by a tree...)

It's probably worth maybe putting some mesh in place (?)

Hi cpdenton,

'77 Stingray, nice:cool Isn't the body fiberglass? I work with fiberglass for a living and it will shrink (dry up) over 3 decades, roofing tar would
not be my top choice to seal/bond glass seam work. Then again, some movement was probably the reason. Nowadays there are so many silicone
and polyurethane sealants, hopefully it's not metal-to-glass!

"Flex Seal" Is that that spray can stuff the guy on TV sprays on a screen door in the bottom of his boat? Never considered that stuff- genius!

If POR-15 was UV proof it would be a good candidate, it's like a plasti-dip plier grip coat. If POR came in a spray can I'd use it to get in there.
I almost bought the farm about 10 years ago shooting POR-15 through a gun, and didn't wear a respirator (stuff reacts/dry when it contacts
moisture.) Because it was water-based I thought "Pshhh, harmless," well, the **** reacted with the fluid in my lungs. I wasn't right for over
a year... If that Flex Seal lays down smooth, it might be a good candidate to shoot down into the nooks of my cowl tub.

Thanks for all your guys help! HUGE!

Best regards,
George

Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Congrats, George! Wow, I'm glad they did away with that system in the later models.

Vent sump covered by removable plastic grillework (which become brittle and degrade in the sun), and drains on the passenger side with a small tube and hose. No flap or mysterious locations.

Guess I'll have a look under those plastic grilles to see how much crud is in there.......

Cruiseomatic

Defining Insanity
Reaction score
Does anyone know if that flapper crapper design was used on the '87-'91 Trucks? My left side wasn't draining at all until I filled it with water and hit it with a shopvac. When you got all the debris out, How was that old sealant holding up? mines shrunk and held water which led to bad rust holes where the firewall and "floor" meet at. Have no idea how to repair it and when I ask, No one seems to want to answer it.