E-brake/parking brake help

bgfire

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody else out there has trouble with their E-brake holding when applied?

I always park with my truck in gear when it is shut down, but the e-brake is nice when you stop for just a moment.

I have checked pretty much everything on the system, and can find nothing wrong. I don't know of any adjustments to the e-brake itself. I know you can adjust the rear service brakes, but they are in adjustment.

When I apply the e-brake pedal, it usually goes to the floor with no resistance. If I step on the clutch, I can feel the truck creeping back (or forward). Once in a great while it will actually engage properly.

Any help would be great.

Bill

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a big discussion on this line a while back. IIRC someone said that there is an internal adjustment in the ratchet assembly on '92+ trucks, but I don't remember for sure. Maybe that's bad?

There's an external cable adjuster on the outside of the driver's side frame rail on my '84...but it sounds like you don't have that...

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
hey BG. i had the same problem! couple things you can do. first, make sure that the rear drums are in adjustment (the cable can only pull so much, so if alot of its pull is just taking up slack between the shoes and the drum, you can fix that with an adjustment). P.M. me if youd like info on adjusting the brake shoes. next, get under the drivers side rail, and your should see the e.brake cable equalizer. its going to be one cable coming from the front of the truck back to a bracket that pulls equally on both e.brake cables going back to each wheel. if there is alot of slack in this area you can tighten the adjustment nut, or even shorten the two cables by using a cable nut tightened down real well. if that doesnt fix the problem, lemme know and i'll tell you what to look for inside the actual brake assembly

bgfire

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'll take a look at it in the morning. I believe the rear brakes are pretty well adjusted, having replaced the shoes and adjusters about 8 months ago.

I will give the cable nut a try; sure couldn't hurt.

I'll let you know if it helps.

Bill