dual stacks to single CAT stack

loggin350

Reaction score
Hey there everybody, I had dual 4 inch stacks on my truck for almost a year now and was bored with them both in looks and sound, the dual 4's were too raspy at high rpm's for me and I was lookin for something deeper and throatier. I go to college for welding and had access to some free 6" ID aluminum pipe (6 5/8" OD) and thought why not try a single stack for free, Ive always likaed the way CAT equipment stacks looked and wanted to build one i was originaly planning on painting this flat black but after i brushed the aluminum i liked they way it looked because it wasnt shiny(hate chrome) so heres what i made and i have 2 1/2" off of each manifold because im NA, and i made a custom collector at the base of the stack for dual 3" flex pipe from the 2 1/2 to the 6, I couldnt be happier with the look and sound i ended up with.

You must be registered for see images attach

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice miter cut! Can we assume you tig welded all that alluminum? Looks like school is paying off. I'm not a big fan of flex pipe, but to each his own. Show a little class and take the junk out of your bed to take pictures. ;Really

LOL

loggin350

Reaction score
Thank you! Yes everything is all TIG welded except for in between the two 3" pipe in the collector just because i couldnt fit a TIG torch in there easily so that is MIG aluminum, and yea im not a fan of flex pipe either but being in college especially 2 weeks from graduating ive long since used up all my spending money haha i sold a friend my 4" pipe to pay for the flex pipe and clamps haha and yea i know the beds a bit messy haha i live out of my truck basicly

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You ain't gonna like this, but IMHO it just don't look right - it's too short, and it looks like it's tilted somewhat towards the rear at its top. Also 6" looks downright silly on most any SRW truck, including the new PSD monsters, but that's just a personal opinion and ya know what they say about those, lol. Out of curiosity, have you thought about running some sort of a muffler with the dual 4" stacks?

Great welding tho, wish I could pull stuff like that off with a TIG!!!

loggin350

Reaction score
haha everyone is entitled to their opinions, i dont like stacks that stick up over the cab except on an actual semis and you are right about it being tilted back i only have it mounted with 3 bolts more towards the rear of the truck because where i have to mount it towards the cab i have to figure out how to mount around the crossmember under the bed, and yea i tried mufflers with the 4" but never found a sound i liked and everyone with a diesel truck around here (mostly rich kids with their daddys new trucks at college) have been getting chrome dual stacks lately and i just wanted something to be different than the masses haha but thanks for the compliments on the welds

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got mixed feelings on it right now, but it's growing on me. Could you access a band clamp of that size? If you could, you could make a mount at the top of the front of the bed to secure it so it sits in there just right. I have mine set up like that, except off to the right side, and the band clamp into the front top rail of the bed. Those welds look great, by the way.

loggin350

Reaction score
oh I didnt think it would be a good idea to cut into the crossmember but if i do what would be the negetive effects of that? just easier to dent or deform the bed with heavy loads?

And as for a band clamp to attach to the bed rail i thought about that but dont know where i would get one and im geussin they are pricey i was actually thinking of welding a tab onto the stack that i could bolt into the bed rail just because aluminum is free to me for stuff that small

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats exactly where I put my stack, but my stack is adjustable at all times... Some people might wanna close their ears!!

I peiced together 4" exhaust and welded a 90* to the bed, the five stack slips right over it and is clamped to my toolbox with a muffler clamp. It works for me LOL

Oh, Nice Tigin' man!!

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
looks like a baby tug boat now.

Yea,clean that junk out(Like I have any room to talk!).If not for the looks,then so you don't find yourself looking for a pond or river to make a water landing when your bed flames up!

What's wrong with tall stacks?

Attachments

• IM000312.JPG
    IM000312.JPG
    377.2 KB · Views: 45

loggin350

Reaction score
haha yea if it were ever to spark up in the bed id be screwed not only is there lots of wood shavings from delivering firewood the bedliner is pretty saturated with bar and chain oil from a jug that got crushed haha

and there is nothin wrong with tall stacks haha its all personal preferance just like like fat chicks - ok for some people but doesnt exactly float my boat haha

loggin350

Reaction score
thanks for the compliments on the welds guys i appreciate it! haha i thought they looked pretty bad in spots but im very judgemental of my own work. and im with you mabc926 i like the look of bigger dual stacks but didnt think the smoke would shoot out as forcefully (for looks) and the 6 inch was free haha i cant complain about that