DT 466 ?S

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so iam not too farmiliar with the dt466 motors and i have a few questions, i know that they are basicly a larger version of the 7.3 powerstroke and have the same type of hpop injection system? is this correct?
also was their ever a model of the dt466 that was mechanicaly injected?

thanks;Sweet

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so iam not too farmiliar with the dt466 motors and i have a few questions, i know that they are basicly a larger version of the 7.3 powerstroke and have the same type of hpop injection system? is this correct?
also was their ever a model of the dt466 that was mechanicaly injected?

thanks;Sweet

They share NOTHING with a PSD. They are inline 6, wet-sleeve engines, early ones were mechanically injected with either A or P-pumps, several variations did exist. Later DT466E's had the HEUI fuel system. Many 466's have been used as the platform for 1500+hp pulling engines, and they hold up very well.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, 1500hp on stock parts, and then go up from there. I did put 1500+. Pretty much skies the limit when you have the $$$, and they hold up very well.

3000hp is not unheard of from either the DT360 or 466.

And 6000+ rpm is a piece of cake for these engines too, when setup right.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well thats cool i never heard of that kind of set up maby ill have to get my hands on one!

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kas - can a dt360 be built for that kind of power for the same kind of money a 46 can?

reason I am asking is I have a line on a low milage 360 for dirt cheap, seems like it would swap in easier than the 466, but I can find much for it performance wise

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
If it was a DT360 it would be a better choice due to the inline pump.And is almost the exact size as the cummins 5.9 but is WAY stronger
If it is just the 360 then i believe they only have the roostamaster pump:puke:

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is a dt360, was rebuilt 26k ago and then pulled for a dt466. my biggest hesitation is not seeing a strong aftermarket....not after crazy power, but wouldnt mind building a strong 4x4 tow machine as time and money allow

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
much appreciated....I can get the motor totally complete (all accessories etc) for $650, I have too many other pokers in the fire to concentrate on this one right now, but I will probably pick up the motor and keep it ready to go.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jump on that DT360 for that price. It's not as straight forward of a swap as a Cummins, as it's a little bit bigger, but I think it's doable. A 360 will take almost all the punishment a 466 will, they tend to not hold up as well as a 466 at around 2,500 hp lol. That's purely due to lack of displacement and having to work the engine a little harder for the same power output. Parts are around the same price, and widely available.

Also, the 360 is wet-sleeve like the it's big brother, giving it the ultimate strength over the B series CTD, IMO.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool...honestly I would like to be in the 500hp range when all is said and done....like I said just a strong 4x4 towing machine that may end up being a part time daily driver.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DT360 is one inch longer than the 5.9 6BT Cummins (at least that's what Brent at Gene's machine shop told me). And will be much easier to fit under the hood. The DT360 will be a good choice for 500 HP. E-mail or call Brent at Gene's for a ton of good information.

I went with the DT466 because of the more torque per HP ratio, the larger displacement, and more a bit more reliability. It will however, take a good bit of fab work to get it in the truck.

Heath

Last edited:

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks heath, I was thinking the 466 would be a cool swap, but also totally overkill for what I want (but still bery cool), but I think the 360 will be a good ticket to get the job done with minimal work....picking it up Friday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online