DT 360 swap - the planning stages

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I was torn between wanting a 360 and doing a idi rebuild. Money is the limit, isn't it always? The dts have a much higher power capability. I'll definitely be watching this thread :sly

Why don't you see a 360 very often in pullers? Because they all run 466s. Some of those guys are highly competitive.

Not true. there are plenty of DT466 in pulling tractors, because they CAME in tractors. The DT 360 was never available in a pickup or in a tractor. ONLY medium duty trucks

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That too, but seriously why would you downgrade? I meant most all of the dudes run 466s not all of them but people wont downgrade from a 466 to a 360. Hey take your PSD out and put in an IDI right? Notcookoo. Maybe you misread what I said but I cannot be so sure :dunno

I didn't say all the reasons why they don't use them but that doesn't make it a fallacy does it..?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got home and measured the DT's flywheel; it's 17-1/2" in diameter - that's to the outside of the teeth.
Me thinks that is quite a bit bigger than an IDI flywheel.
So what are the chances that 17-1/2" behemoth would fit inside a ZF5 bellhousing?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
That too, but seriously why would you downgrade? I meant most all of the dudes run 466s not all of them but people wont downgrade from a 466 to a 360. Hey take your PSD out and put in an IDI right? Notcookoo. Maybe you misread what I said but I cannot be so sure :dunno

I didn't say all the reasons why they don't use them but that doesn't make it a fallacy does it..?

But a 466 does NOT fit in all the tractors. A 360 fits in the smaller tractors(80 or less). while the 466 fits in the 100+ hp tractors

paulb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RT/O-610/6610/613/6613 are non-synchro 10/13 speed trans
FS/O-6406/8406 are synchro 6 speed trans

Either way you need to run a divorced transfercase.

I hope when I get the cash together that I will be able to find a DT360 for my build and a FSO-8406a trans.

Eason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not true. there are plenty of DT466 in pulling tractors, because they CAME in tractors. The DT 360 was never available in a pickup or in a tractor. ONLY medium duty trucks

The DT-466 ONLY came in 2 IH 2wd row crop tractors, the 5288 turboed and 5488 turboed and intercooled. All others had a DT-414 or 436. The D-360 was used in the 766 and 886 only. The DT-360 was used in several pieces of construction equipment. Eason

sassyrel

Reaction score
6610 is a 10speed. I believe they are fully synchro'd. High and low range are built in to the trans. So you shift through 5 speeds, then flip a lever on the shifter to go into high range, and go through 5 more gears.
Having that many gears would be pretty cool, but I see it as more of a novelty.
Grossing about 18k with my underpowered IDI, I would use every one of those 10 gears, but with the DT; If I needed that many gears, it wasn't making enough power yet.

I've been leaning towards sticking with the ZF5, but no one has really tried to persuade me one way or the other.........

tho late to comment on this,,are you sure,,or does anyone else know,,if the zf5 will stand up to this hp??? i think not.....from what ive read...

pennsylvaniabo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RT/O-610/6610/613/6613 are non-synchro 10/13 speed trans
FS/O-6406/8406 are synchro 6 speed trans

Either way you need to run a divorced transfercase.

I hope when I get the cash together that I will be able to find a DT360 for my build and a FSO-8406a trans.

This trans i feel would prolly be the most practical, its synchro'd, non air shift, and you will actually use the gears.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The DT-466 ONLY came in 2 IH 2wd row crop tractors, the 5288 turboed and 5488 turboed and intercooled. All others had a DT-414 or 436. The D-360 was used in the 766 and 886 only. The DT-360 was used in several pieces of construction equipment. Eason

But the ONLY difference between the 414, 436 and 466 is the crank and pistons. the block is the same. So it is all plug and play(bolts right in). while the 360 was not ever offered so you have to get creative

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys I need help on this one.

Still trying to research what parts would be at least close to fitting together, so I'm looking for 3 pieces of information from guys that have parts lying around.

#1 Stock IDI flywheel diameter. Need this dimension to see if the starter would still fit on the opposite side of the block so I wouldn't have to cut a whole in a ZF5 bell housing to clear the starter.
#2 How big of a flywheel will fit inside the bell housing of a ZF5?
#3 I've been trying to find the dimensions of a Cummins flywheel. In particular the diameter of the bolt circle where the flywheel bolts to the crank, and the diameter of the crank flange (what the rear main seal rides on). These dimensions could be obtained off of either a crank or flywheel from a Cummins. Even the guy at the local Cummins shop couldn't give me these dimensions.

Thanks in advance if anyone could help me out

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker