Driving a truck with a DT466E

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have lots of underpowered trucks at work. Gov't trucks, low bid from a contract that I think says "provide one diesel truck, white"LOL None are equipped the same, and all have the lowest power and mismatched gearing. We have a new water truck with a 300hp C series Cummins that is a pig. These small cube engines just aren't up to the task of moving big trucks very rapidly. The coolest truck we had was an International with a DT466 and a 10 speed manual. That truck was actually fun to drive. Being gov't, everything else has slow ass automatics.
Travis..

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I drive a IH 4900 with the dt 466 and allison combo and when plowing with 10 ton of salt on and plow down you go up the hill really slow LOL The thing with the allisons is they don't start in first so if your heavy and pulling out you need to manually put it in first. I've also drove a fuel truck with the t444e and the seven speed and after backing into a few hundred drives that reverse and low combo is really nice till you get in your own truck with a zf5 and then wow where did reverse go LOL

P.S oh yeah Heath take care of that oil pan IH is really proud of them I just changed one and theres nothing to it but they wanted $750 for the new one

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have lots of underpowered trucks at work. Gov't trucks, low bid from a contract that I think says "provide one diesel truck, white"LOL None are equipped the same, and all have the lowest power and mismatched gearing. We have a new water truck with a 300hp C series Cummins that is a pig. These small cube engines just aren't up to the task of moving big trucks very rapidly. The coolest truck we had was an International with a DT466 and a 10 speed manual. That truck was actually fun to drive. Being gov't, everything else has slow ass automatics.
Travis..

I think that's the problem with our truck- it's a former Navy truck that had gone to auction!

It did only have 56K on it when we picked it up though!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
What tranny does that F800 have in it?

At my work we have a '97 F800 flatbed with a 12V Cummins and a 4 speed Allison. The Cummins is the 160 hp version, and that particular engine needs a lot more gears than 4. 1st, 2nd and 3rd aren't TOO bad but when it drops into 4th it drops wayyyy down. It's slow even when it's empty, but it can haul almost 12,000 lbs and with that much on there it's REALLY slow.

It has a 5 speed allison, thank god. That extra gear really help thee slow **** move. I have driven them w 4 speeds and they are even slower

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add, I don't know what gears our F800 has in the rearend or what the ratios on that Allison are, but at 70 mph on the highway that poor Cummins is turning 2500 RPM...

And yet it still delivers 12 mpg most of the time!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I know what y'all are saying.

I ran a 1996 International 4900, that 10 - 15 times a day would gross out at 27500 KG's (60 500 pounds)...powered by a DT466...Not an E series, but a mechanical 190 horsepower, DT466 with the P7100 Bosch inline pump. She had an 8LL and I THINK 5.29's in it.

100 KM/h was MAXIMUM, even then I felt like I was punishing it.

I would start up a slight incline a mile or so long, and be into the LOW side of the tranny....like 30 KM/h in a 100 KM/h zone.

You must be registered for see images attach

Now, I am at the complete other end of the spectrum.

I got a 1999 Kenworth W900L, 525 horsepower N14 Cummins, 13 DOUBLE overdrive, 3.42's in the rearends...46000 pounders to boot. It will start at the bottom of that same hill...at a red light...with the same 60500 pounds combined weight on...and I can shift gears the WHOLE way to the top..gaining speed the entire way up.

Empty, it will keep upto traffic as a joke if I push it a little. But if I REALLY use it, I can keep anxious motorists behind me and keep from getting cut off...but it's too ******* the truck.

Most people buy the smaller trucks for less cost thinking that they will save them money.

WRONG!

There are SEVERAL M2 106 Freightliners with 300 mercedes, 330 cummins and a pile of GMC 8500's with the C7 300 HP Cat and 300 Izuzu engines that will litterally chew up 300 liters a day, doing the same job I am doing for litterally 100 - 130 liters. Same loads, same haul...just more cost.

I get an easy 7 - 8 MPG outta the N14 depending on what I am hauling and to where...but the same haul yeilds 3 - 5 MPG out of the other trucks with less power.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online