Driver door won't open from inside

wmoguy

Reaction score
I read some fix for this and can't find it now. Please help!

My 94 has decided that the escape lever from inside the drivers door no longer wants to work. It moves just like it should, it just does nothing. It's getting old and dangerous having to open the door via rolling down the window.

Does anyone know of the thread on how to fix this or can give me direction on this? Seems like the fix was to shim something?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Mine did this and Ron helped me out at the rally by tweaking the part that holds the cable out a little to take up the slack. Well it started doing it again a few weeks later so I pulled another assembly from a yard. While replacing it I noticed my thumb button assembly on the outside pull handle had rusted enough it didn't work right. Pulling it apart and greasing it got it going well again.

Something else to check when you go in.

DragRag

Reaction score
Cable stretch is usually the cause, although I have had the inside of the door break also. The inside door skin that's, where the handle bolts on.

Last edited:

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my door it wasn't the actual cable that had stretched, but the metal clip that connects the cable to the handle mechanism. A quick squeeze on the clip with pliers will shorten it enough to get it working again until you can replace it.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when the inside door release will not open the door or the handle breaks, you also need to look at the handle mechanism. You need to look at the pivot pin where the spring is, I have seen the pin wear the hole out and that will simulate a strtched cable. Best fix is getting the hardware out of the earlier doors and put the rod mechanism in, no more opener / cable problems. No more broken handles either.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Cable stretch is usually the cause, although I have had the inside of the door break also. The inside door skin that's, whe the handle bolts on.

Yep did that about 2 months ago. put a huge fender washer on it and I now no longer have to roll the window down to open the door

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86