Driveline vibration mystery

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Greasable U joints or sealed? Give them a shot of grease until it pours out of all 4 caps, then wipe it clean to keep grease off non greasable parts (exhaust, body, fuel tank)

Did a weight come off a wheel? It should be visable if one came flying off.

Is there excessive play in the transmission yoke, or did the nut back off the pinion allowing that yoke to work loose?

I would check the balance of the shaft just to be sure it's balanced. Are the yokes in phase? I know it's supposed to be master splined....but mine isn't (but it was custom built)

Are your rear drums or front rotors in need of turning/replacing? I had that problem in an F150....PITA!!!

Nothing short of pulling the hubs in search of busted parts, I am out of ideas.

The joints on it now, are sealed... No zerks...

There are no signs of a missing weight. I know what that feels like and this vibration doesn't feel like a missing weight.

The transmission yolk is still tight and I'll have to re-check the pinion yolk.

The drive shaft "Halves" are still lined up, like they were when I bought the truck and it didn't vibrate then..

Drums and rotors are in great shape...

I'm going to check the pinion yolk and U-joints.. I can change the joints, as I already have new ones. If that doesn't work, I'll have the drive shaft balanced.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I didn't get them balanced, but the vibration doesn't feel like a tire. It's more like going over a rumble strip, that has the strips very very close together. I'm not sure how else to describe it...

Most likely a tire. It can REALLY fake you out. I had one that I thought for sure was a bum shock. It felt like it was setting up the axle hop from hell, making the exact sound you describe, I sent the shocks in for testing and one was bad, but that didnt take care of the problem, the next week I went in for new front tires and on the way back from the tire shop, the problem was gone ;Sweet

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Most likely a tire. It can REALLY fake you out. I had one that I thought for sure was a bum shock. It felt like it was setting up the axle hop from hell, making the exact sound you describe, I sent the shocks in for testing and one was bad, but that didnt take care of the problem, the next week I went in for new front tires and on the way back from the tire shop, the problem was gone ;Sweet

That exactly what im saying, tires can drive you crazy, but no one listens to me, i have been down this road before it turned out to be tires not balanced, its one of the cheapest easiest things someone could do why not just do it for the heck of it i mean really?cookoo

Lowlanderg

Reaction score
Hi Gary and contributors, I am new to the site and looking for help on exactly this issue. Did you find the problem eventually?

I have a 1994 F350 dually with the 7.3 litre motor with 75,400 miles on the vehicle. Tires are new last week. I had the drive train off at a shop and replaced the rear u-joint, the guys told me that one was getting a bit stiff and the rest were ok. The tranny is the E4OD which is know for shuddering and fluids were changed yesterday. The truck gets a vibration at 40 mph or 1500 rpm in 3 and overdrive and it stays until the speed and rpm drop below the vibration threshold. the tranny shifts smoothly throughout. The vibration feels like I am driving on grooved pavement, like when you hit the grooved rumble strips on a highway shoulder, but without the loud wake-up noise that goes with that. Brakes were inspected and are ok. I have not checked the drive shaft balance bits.

Again, did you solve your issue and if so, how?

Reading various threads, some say this

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Did it do this before the U-Joint replacement? If not, they may not have phased the driveshaft correctly when they put it back together......

Lowlanderg

Reaction score
Hey Scott:

Yup it did the same thing before I had the rear most u-joint replaced. I really am convinced now, after further test drive, that the front u- joint is the culprit. Why? My neighbor is a retired mechanic. He had me get under the truck ( he's 73 years old) and place my hand on each u-joint after a drive about. He asked which one was warm to the touch, and that was the front one, and it was hotter than the tranny side. The young lad at the shop I took it too was somewhat wet bethind the ears, and when I asked him which one was stiff with the shaft on the ground he pointed to the rear one. Huh? What about the front one I asked. Seems fine to me he said. Well, the thing is, the U-joint has to be really done to detect a dry one on the shop floor, and while driving, the dynamics are different.

So this afternoon, i drove the truck in second gear reving to 40 mph and beyond, and the vibration occurred as usual. Now, the E4OD tranny shudder issue starts as the trucks shift from third to overdrive, which is a known issue and points to tranny work. This problem I have is to my mind the U-joints because the vibration occurs in second as well, at the speed threshold for the vibration. So next week, the truck goes in to a different shop and they will replace all the old joints plus the hanger bearing, and then we'll learn if this is, or is not, a tranny issue.

Back with you folks when that gets done.

Glennie - "lowlanderg"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online