Drained cooling system...add 2 petcocks/flush...

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill take the plugs to napa and see what they can do, and ill post the size of they have them

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slowly but surely, between work and school(also tutoring at school) I don't have much time unfortunately....but id waay rather get it done right slowly then a quick eff up of a job.

I really wish I didnt procrastinate so much during the summer.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slowly but surely, between work and school(also tutoring at school) I don't have much time unfortunately....but id waay rather get it done right slowly then a quick eff up of a job.

I really wish I didnt procrastinate so much during the summer.
You mentions school...University/college or what...trade school? Just keep picking away...butter to take the time to do it right...cause surely there truly won't be time to do it over!

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep foundation electrical level one.....i unno if you remember but back in the day, before my truck, i posted about my dilemma between going into hd mechanic or electrical.
Work=driving a taxi :p and tutoring is highschool level math and physics. (volunteer type thing)

I got my class 1 to be a logging truck driver but then I got the acceptance letter for electrical so i abandoned that path and got my chauffeurs permit. I have done some odd jobs trucking though I was a temp relief driver for a guy doing a 70 mile switch for canada post. And I moved a cat 320 from Wells BC to fort mac last week.....man that was a loooong job

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Clearly flushing the system is a great thing when you see loads of rusty coloured water/coolant come out time and again till it flushes clear....then add 4 gallons of Coolant (read 60+ dollars) and a new rad cap and voila...

INSTANT FREAKING LEAK FROM WATER PUMP NOW.....all that fresh coolant drained out...I am thinking some small detris dislodged from all the flushing and managed to get caught up and lodged in the pump seal. This quite frankly angers me significantly. I now have to replace a water pump and while at it of course a Tstat. Can't do half a job now can I...rofl...

over $135 for a new NAPA water pump and that's with a deal....ugh....***** oh well.....to quote a line from a White Snake song..... "here we go again"....

on a brighter note, I stalled out Friday coming home from town a few kilometers from home, called a friend and got a tow....damn clogged fuel filter from a lousy on my part filtering job of the WVO I'm blending...UGH....love it...rains...pours....friggen torrential downpour to Tsunami ...

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats some crappy luck Al, sure hope that doesnt happen to me.....do water pumps ever fail without leaking?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah...stuff happens...not a big deal really..expensive...but no biggy for me. I have the tools and time to do the job. I think for expediency ill get locl pump...then order couple from rock auto in couple months. one seat spare....one shop spare...

got steel today for coolant filter mount bracket...thats going in FOR SURE and run water for bit before reload coolant....will take pics,

HERE IS rough draft of filter head and numbers with angle iron...

You must be registered for see images attach

Now ya'll know as much as I do....:rotflmao..some more than likely most of ya know more n I do;Sweet:D

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK today...I took PETCOCK pics for everyone to see....These are my two petcocks installed...

Drivers side..above oil filter

Passengers side....above starter ahead of Block heater

Hopefully this helps out a few others as to where they go...I tried to leave enough stuff in pic to help show locations for each side....

UGH...water pumps out btw

Omnious

Reaction score
So what do i do if i cannot get my block drains to come out. Did everything that was listed in this thread. Still wont budge. How much coolant does the block hold if i have everything else drained?

Going to do a full flush and need to know how much water will remain in the block if the drains wont come out.

Thanks in advance.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what do i do if i cannot get my block drains to come out. Did everything that was listed in this thread. Still wont budge. How much coolant does the block hold if i have everything else drained?

Going to do a full flush and need to know how much water will remain in the block if the drains wont come out.

Thanks in advance.

Actually a significant amount of coolant remains in the block from what I saw.

Now what have you tried, there are really a significant amount of ways to deal with these plugs when they are stubborn.

Are they hex head like a bolt or allen head plugs?

Some say heat the plug up hot then hit it with a candle that will wick the wax into the threads, impact driver can be used if you get to it, drill it out and easyout the remainder,

NOW THIS IS JUST ME, AND I AM COMFORTABLE DOING IT THIS WAY!!!!!

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK

I would get the block hot with a torch, when I say hot....try starting to glow red hot.... good and hot and then remove the plug with a ratchet and socket be it allen of hex. I have read that can cause problems but I have not yet had issues with the method I would use. KNOCK on WOOD...(bangs head)

The above method has worked for me on other vehicles, I have NOT tried it with my diesel there was no need to. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK as I cannot take responsibility for other peoples actions.

Hope this helps

Omnious

Reaction score
Mine are hex head plugs. I did heat with a torch, not glowing red, and they did not budge. Started to get worried that i might round the head or break it. Guess it is time to be more persuasive.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Four gallons of coolant....3 more of water!....and I have yet to BURP it to ensure it's full!
newbie ????how are these burped? while the t stat is out I heard about a flow increasing trick???
anything else I should do when I flust and recgarge this thing??? thanx cb

b.t.w. the plugs look like 1/4" i.p. from what I can see as they are still in the block,,,

thanx fer the data mining

Last edited:
Reaction score
Number of ways to do it, but the easiest is to fill the rad to almost full, then fire up the truck with the rad cap off. Wait for the truck to get warm enough for the thermostat to open and the coolant to disappear. It'll take forever, but when it does, it'll go quick. Fill it up while it continues to suck the fluid in, but don't top it off. The system will continue to burp itself through the rad cap opening, and topping it off now will just make a mess. When the system stops burping/bubbling, top it off and throw on the cap, then fill the overflow accordingly. Doesn't hurt to check the level the next day, either.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online