Downpipe pulled out of my turbo...

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Yah I haven't been on here since probably the spring when I had a blowout on the inner rear dual that took out my exhaust, running board etc etc. Anyway I've been running around all summer with just a downpipe and I finally got around to repairing my exhaust a couple weeks ago. Well I think I did too good a job! I fixed the exhaust up so that it is a lot more solid.....still able to move but solid. Anyway I was driving today on the interstate and the DP pulled away from the turbo! :eek: At first I thought it had just let loose at one of the connections but it sounded a little bit different....sure enough it's where the DP enters the turbo. Ok finally my question...
Does the dp just slip fit into the turbo....I went ahead and pulled it all the way out and nursed it back home (turbo whistle is ridiculous in this configuration! :thumbsup: by the way)....anyway there isn't a flange or anything. It's been along time since I worked on Joe's and when we pulled the motor on BJ's a thousand years ago I'm wanting to say we left the turbo off.....Anyway what I'm trying to say is I'm getting old and I can't for the life of me remember how this dp goes back together again. :dunno:D
Thanks for any help and advice!

Oh yah I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!! ;Sweet

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Hey all! Yah I haven't been on here since probably the spring when I had a blowout on the inner rear dual that took out my exhaust, running board etc etc. Anyway I've been running around all summer with just a downpipe and I finally got around to repairing my exhaust a couple weeks ago. Well I think I did too good a job! I fixed the exhaust up so that it is a lot more solid.....still able to move but solid. Anyway I was driving today on the interstate and the DP pulled away from the turbo! :eek: At first I thought it had just let loose at one of the connections but it sounded a little bit different....sure enough it's where the DP enters the turbo. Ok finally my question...
Does the dp just slip fit into the turbo....I went ahead and pulled it all the way out and nursed it back home (turbo whistle is ridiculous in this configuration! :thumbsup: by the way)....anyway there isn't a flange or anything. It's been along time since I worked on Joe's and when we pulled the motor on BJ's a thousand years ago I'm wanting to say we left the turbo off.....Anyway what I'm trying to say is I'm getting old and I can't for the life of me remember how this dp goes back together again. :dunno:D
Thanks for any help and advice!

Oh yah I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!! ;Sweet

If its the wastegated ATS 093 then yes it just slide in there

And when i first put my turbo on i drove with no downpipe for 2 days, it was awesome!

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 days!! :eek: Well that makes me feel better...I was nervous it was gonna start my firewall on fire!! LOL I'm half deaf and I could hear the whistle!! :thumbsup:

Yes I believe it is the 093....it's the "Dealer's Diesel" ATS turbo. I had always wondered whether I had the smashed dp or not so I was pleased to see that it's not. :D Anyway so I guess to re-install....just grease it up and slide it in and then piece everything else back together. I guess I need to fab up a way for it not to slide out again....

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eric-
take a wire wheel brush on a drill and knock some of the soot off. the dp will go back in a little easier. don't worry, it will soot back up again and seal up.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eric-
take a wire wheel brush on a drill and knock some of the soot off. the dp will go back in a little easier. don't worry, it will soot back up again and seal up.

Update: Wire wheel and sandpaper on the ole' dremel tool worked awesome for this! Thanks! Got everything all back together and lo and behold there was a "flange" (I guess you could call it) that lined up perfectly with the connection of the crossover pipe so the downpipe will never slide out again! ;Sweet

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have that turbo, I have either the 085 or 088 not sure (non-wastegated). The down pipe does just slip into the turbo outlet housing. On my downpipe, there is a tang welded on it and a small bracket that goes from it to a tranny-to-engine mounting bolt. that keeps the downpipe firmly kept in the turbo outlet housing.