Downpipe install

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all,
I installed my downpipe yesterday on my 1995 f-350 4x4 cc srw long bed manual trans . I was surprised that I didn’t have to cut the firewall. Is that normal? Everywhere I have read people hack into the firewall. I just wanted to see if I stumbled onto something or is it just a craps shoot on whose has to be cut and who’s doesn’t.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's pretty normal not to have to hack your firewall, however, I think it depends most on two things:

1) The diameter of the downpipe, typically anything bigger than 3" causes installation/interference issues.

2) How much the body mounts on your truck have sagged over the last 20ish years. One of the nice things about a body lift is it usually gains you some clearance for the downpipe, but even if you just replace your factory body mounts you can typically gain about an inch.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I was unaware that a larger than 3” downpipe was normal or even done.

Dragrace504

Reaction score
I installed a 3inch on my 97obs and I had to beat it back a little because it rubbed and it was annoying to even drive but no hacking it up tho

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I recall, on my 97 the downpipe was 2 pieces and I didn't clamp it together near the bellhousing. Probably 3/8" clearance at the firewall, and 1/2" at the harness going into the E4OD. Diamondeye brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online