dont buy glowshift a pillars

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I'm gonna be waiting another 2 weeks now for an autometer A pillar because this glowshift one is so ***** even if I got it to work it'd look like ass. You get what you pay for, there is a reason their a pillars are so cheap. I can't comment on their guages yet, hopefully they impress better than the pillar. $30 down the drain, now I know. This was the 3 pod a pillar btw, this may not reflect on the 2 pod pillar as it seems to be made differently.

just want to let people know

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I'll try and get one tomorrow. It doesn't fit. Their pillars are completely straight, where our a pillars gradually curve in at the bottom. This makes a big gap in the middle between the two that can't be filled. The glowshift gauge is supposed to go on top of the factory one obviously. With the pillar lined up with my stock one on the inside edge (part nearest the windshield), the other side stuck out past the stock one. The top section didnt line up at all with the stock a pillar molding either. Just a mess. We were thinking about cutting the top section off but even then it'd look sloppy. Autometer makes quality products, I'm sure their pillars are a much better fit.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have a glow shift triple pillar pod, mine fit ok but it was a fight to get it to fit...Let us know how the autometer unit works.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just installed mine from glowshiftdirect.com a couple weeks ago on my 87. Came out sweet with a little warming with the heat gun and trimming. Anyone with a little patients I'm sure can make it work. After all $100 savings one can afford time to make it fit fine.
You must be registered for see images attach

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
bigrig, how did you get the middle to stay up against the factory pillar? mine stuck way out. im just gonna try the autometer and see how it compares. this pillar will be good swap meet material, it can be someone elses burden. when i'm spending my money on something i want it done right.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I myself sprung an extra 5 bucks for an autometer dual gauge pillar pod. I hadn't ever heard of the glowshift brand so I opted to go for a brand I knew. It did however take a little elbow grease to fit but turned out alright.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It appears by looking at signatures that those who have had the gloshift one work all have early trucks and those who have had trouble like the OP have later trucks, which leads me to think the things wont fit the later style cab. Autometer makes twu different ones for the different years. I got one of teh autometer ones for mine and it popped right in no fuss. I don't like their gauges much but their pods fit great.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine bolted right up perfectly.top,bottom and sides.
pic before i had the gauge sensors connected at the firewall:

GlowShift Triple Pillar Gauge Pod #GS-346

I'll try and get one tomorrow. It doesn't fit. Their pillars are completely straight, where our a pillars gradually curve in at the bottom. This makes a big gap in the middle between the two that can't be filled. The glowshift gauge is supposed to go on top of the factory one obviously. With the pillar lined up with my stock one on the inside edge (part nearest the windshield), the other side stuck out past the stock one. The top section didnt line up at all with the stock a pillar molding either. Just a mess. We were thinking about cutting the top section off but even then it'd look sloppy. Autometer makes quality products, I'm sure their pillars are a much better fit.
i would try again.are your forcing it? it should slide in,and line up with ease.
the top is very close.perhaps you just didn't have it placed correctly?
set the bottom down in between the dash first and then slide the top up.
you understand the top lip doesn't go under the trim up there either right? it goes right on top.don't worry,it looks correct once you drill the hole and use the screw.
rather than using one of the devoted screws up there,i drilled my hole so that stock screw could hold it perfect.
i simply used two of their screws for the side and put those plastic caps on them.
when i hop in,everything is seamless and appears stock (besides it being black.)
im thinking your over trying.

Last edited:

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I'll have to look at it again man, like I said mine didn't fit correctly at all. I can't imagine they changed their moldings for the same body style though. We'll see. I'll post some pictures if I can't get it, maybe ya'll can show me what I'm doing wrong.

1994IDI

Reaction score
If it eases your mind any, my Autometer pillar fit right on with no argument at all like Robert said.

Let us know how it goes, and post some pics up. Good luck.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
An update on this, I finally got around to installing. I bought an autometer a pillar, which is night and day better than my glowshift one in every aspect. thicker plastic, correct mold for my trucks a pillar, and better material (looks like the rest of the interior, not that cheesy smooth plastic glowshift uses). the issue with using an autometer a pillar and glowshift gauges was that the gauges were quite a bit more than the 2 1/16" diameter they were supposed to be so I had to file out the a pillar to get them to fit.

As for the gauges, glowshift gauges cant be used on a dimmer switch... So when you turn your headlights on they are glowing like high beams. I know autometers you can wire to the dimmer switch and turn them up or down. The directions on these said specifically not to do so.. Also, these gauges were a wiring nightmare. all of them had different colors for 12 volt switched wires (the boost gauge had 2 wires for the same thing) and the directions used different terminology for where each wire should go for each gauge.

Next time I'll just stay on the safe side and buy all autometer, they're the #1 seller for a reason. The end result is nice, they look good and I'll get used to them being so bright eventually, but the hassle didnt save me any money or provide anything more than autometers do.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
My glowshift fit my 94 perfectly. No fuss install. Just line up, attach screws and covers. Perfect fit. DUmb dumb installer ran a screw though his remote start/keyless entry antenna wire though. :D

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
Well I didnt bother tryin with that glowshift a pillar after I got that autometer one. I shouldve taken a picture of the two next to each other before I installed the autometer. Like I said, big quality difference.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
update.. I've had 3 different issues with 3 different gauges. pyro is a digital gauge and occassionally shows readings all over the place. boost gauge jumps, doesn't operate smoothly. tonight the oil temp gauge apparently had a light go out, the off white back-color I was using is gone, just blue and purple now. all that combined with no dimming ability, incorrect size gauges (fit their pods, not an autometer that is actually 2 1/16"), and cheap quality pillar pod, will keep me from ever buying from them again. I'm buying a 2 gauge pod, pyro, and boost from autometer like I should've done to begin with and getting that crap out of my truck.

anyone considering glowshift has been warned. 3 different issues with 3 gauges, what're the odds.