Does this look like a limited slip diff?

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
It could be either way, you have to look very closely at the spiders, If it's LS there will be clutches behind them.

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
my ls axle looks just like an open diff untill you take tht spider gears out and see the clutch discs behind them

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yea, pic is too crappy to tell. We need to see that bright white little square on top of the unit.....so basically....back up a couple inches.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no clutches or springs just spider gears. I Stand by OPEN DIFF
In the factory 10.25" LSD there is no S-spring like there is in the 8.8 setups, so you ain't gonna see no springs, ever! Clutches are very well hidden behind the axle gears. The most obvious visual difference between an open carrier and an LSD is the shape of the passenger side of the carrier - this one is cylindrical in shape all the way, while the open carrier has more of a cone shape, as in past the cross shaft and its gears it tapers its diameter down to about the diameter of the bearing at its end. On an open diff there are also two reinforcing ribs around the bolt for the cross shaft, and two more 180* from there - none of this is on this carrier in the pic, this one is cylindrical in shape like that because it has to hold the clutch pack at its end (whereas with the open diff there's no need for this so they tapered them down). So I stand by FACTORY LIMITED-SLIP :sly

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
What happened to putting the rear up on jackstands and seeing what happens when you rotate the tires? If the both rotate in the same direction I do believe it is something other than an open diff.

Is the Miller and Hobart Locker some kind of new option I don't know about??:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao;Poke:cheers:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Miller and Hobart lockers work just as good as the Lincoln locker many are so familiar with, you just have to set them up right :D

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
used to have a 78 460 with lincoln lockers and it was an awesome pasture truck but when you got on the road it would hop, skip and jump around every corner with the military tires on the back.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like said a few post above, you need to look behind the spider gears and see if there is any clutch plates behind them. I have my rear axle apart now and my carrier looks the same and it is a limited slip diff. Just hard to tell in that pic without seeing behind the spiders.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its a limmited slip Like so many people that have actualy seen a 10.25ls have said. Have the people that say it isn't ever even seen a limited slip or an open diff befor? If it walks like a duck, quaks like aduck, looks like a duck and has a tag on the door that say its a duck and looks nothing like an open carier for a 10.25 its probly a duck.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First let me say "Skru Welded Diffs".
Second... Most clutch type slip differentials I have seen have a two piece carrier in order to assemble the clutch pack. You would typically see a parting line for the two halves.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guhunt do us all a favor and end this argument roll you truck forward untill we can see that square cut out in the carier wich will reveal the clutches. It is a limited slip I have yet to hear other wise from some one refrencing it what a limited slip in a sterling 10.25 looks like but others describe what a sterling 10.25 open diff looks like wich is nothing like what you have. it also resembels all the 10.25 factory limmited slips I've seen.