Do I need new front leafs

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been doing research and can’t find straight answer, so I come to you fellow oil burners. Do I need new front leafs? They don’t feel particularly sproingy like they’re wore out. The front has a rough country add a leaf for a modest lift. The PO told me it had a lift so that must be what he was talking about. Thoughts?
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your tire wear is good, leave it alone. The stock springs are supposed to be high in the middle like that in case you are wondering. You can see the add-a-leaf having a hard time conforming to the factory spring.

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok. Thanks for the info. Why are the leafs shaped like that? I’ve never had a truck with front leafs shaped in such a manner.

Vern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, the neutral camber has a lesser fore and aft movement of the axle centers so as to not throw out alignment when flexin

Exhumis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah that’s cool, makes sense. I just put in new ball joints and tie rods, had it aligned at a shop and they said the camber shims looked good and the tires are wearing fine so I think I’ll leave it alone. Thanks for the info guys.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just the way they are.
I think the idea was a smoother ride.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If you think about it, the shackles being in the front would work perfectly with the spring like that. When you hit a bump the spring would not grow in length but become shorter. That would make the front shackle move to the rear, the best way for them to work.

I think when they stuck the dana 60 in there, it was a last minute "fix a larger problem" and when they they did that they used the positive arch spring with the ttb front shackle setup, which was a compromise design. As the positive arch spring goes over a bump, it grows in length and the shackle has to move forward.

Tim McKay

Reaction score
Those springs aren’t “collapsed”?? I was about to replace the front springs on my sons truck because they look the same.
The front of the truck is down about 1.5”, and I assume new springs would be nearly straight, or with a small “smile” in them, bringing it back close to level.
How did they look when new?
Tire wear seems to be good.

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, factory reverse arch. But they do settle over time and may be a little worse for wear. In my opinion, add a leafs are the best "repair". Anytime I've added a least to a ttb pack, not only did it help bring the front back up, but the ride actually gets a little softer because of the load distribution amongst the leaves. Plus they are waaayyy cheaper than replacements

Tim McKay

Reaction score
Nope, factory reverse arch. But they do settle over time and may be a little worse for wear. In my opinion, add a leafs are the best "repair". Anytime I've added a least to a ttb pack, not only did it help bring the front back up, but the ride actually gets a little softer because of the load distribution amongst the leaves. Plus they are waaayyy cheaper than replacements

Well, you just saved me a ton. I have been told by multiple people they were collapsed . As I stated, I only need about 1.5”, what brand add a leaf do you recommend? I definately dont want to get into adding the drops, etc. I prefer to get something people on here have used, as opposed to falling victim to the BS marketing on the websites. I like The NAPA premium products, any opinions?
Thanks!!

BR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea nobody but people who are really familiar with the ttb know anything about them. If it's not from a desert racer or someone well versed in one fords, you can just about bet it's wrong any more unfortunately. Almost everything about these trucks is different than "normal".
You'll really get looks if you tell them that the frame is part of the suspension when they see the bed moving lol.

Any brand that still carries add a leafs specifically for these trucks should work, leaf springs are hard to get "wrong". And of they are very sagged, you man not even need an alignment to get back to o.e. spec

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online