Discovered a new aftermarket part for our trucks!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont see the point in such a conversion/system. I have been in the newer trucks when sitting still and foot on the brake the steering wheel just about locks up and I dont like the idea of something going wrong in the ps system and loosing both brakes and steering at the same time!:dunno

As an aside, I've lost several vacuum pumps, but never a power steering pump. Considering the fact that when vacuum fails, there is no pink blood on the ground to tell you, I'd say the odds of developing a vacuum problem are much better than a powersteering problem. My powersteering pump has 2 belts going to it also, since I don't have AC. Seems like a win win to me. If you feel a problem in the steering wheel you have a nice warning there. ;Sweet

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
As an aside, I've lost several vacuum pumps, but never a power steering pump. Considering the fact that when vacuum fails, there is no pink blood on the ground to tell you, I'd say the odds of developing a vacuum problem are much better than a powersteering problem. My powersteering pump has 2 belts going to it also, since I don't have AC. Seems like a win win to me. If you feel a problem in the steering wheel you have a nice warning there. ;Sweet

I am thinking about my 94.........so I am forgetting about the extra belts that the older trucks have. Maybe you should consider an upgrade to a serpentine belt and forget the hydroboost?:D
By the way i recently replaced my vacuum pump on the 94. It never let me down though. The warning was in the form of the brake light coming on after startups on cold mornings. It provided a fair warning to tell me it was going south however it was still working when i changed it out.
Dont get me started on that pulley though.:rolleyes: ;Sweet

As i said earlier if a person were steering the truck frequently while stopped and depressing the brake pedal then the hydroboost may not be desirable. I have a friend that wasnt pleased with such a condition on his 2000 psd which uses a similar system.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've thought about the serp belt a time or two. I may get their eventually. The original V belts have been unavailable from Ford for some time, so I'm already forced to use aftermarket parts there. One of the problems with keeping a truck this long is that you eventually get to a point where it starts to make sense to modernize things. Already there are obvious difficulties in getting certain parts, and if you want a new part instead of a used one from a junkyard, or a second rate one from China, you have to start looking at other sources. The running gear may be one of those things that I have to take a hard look at some time. The braking system in it's entirety may be obsolete and I could concievably have to update my axles to superduty ones in the event that shoes and pads become unavailable. Moving to a hydroboost unit may by me some time in avoiding yet another jump.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I dont see the point in such a conversion/system. I have been in the newer trucks when sitting still and foot on the brake the steering wheel just about locks up and I dont like the idea of something going wrong in the ps system and loosing both brakes and steering at the same time!:dunno

I just did all new rears on my 93 & it still don't stop like our 2000 Superduty. The hydroboost is nice but if your Powersteering pump goes out or is low on fluid the hydroboost acts funny. I don't know I think disc brakes are still one of the best upgrades for stopping these rigs.

#3053R Level III Price $695.00 on the hydroboost conversion! :eek:

sassyrel

Reaction score
Well lets see... I just priced out the parts new from my Ford dealer, and getting them at my discounted price, the total was $747. Ouch. That's still a little cheaper than this aftermarket jobby I linked to. Now if your unable to get the deals I do, then the aftermarket may well be cheaper for you. Too bad we can't use the 99 and up hydroboost unit, as they are about half the cost of the F450 one. I guess I'm going with the Ford unit, just because their is no guarantee I could find this aftermarket jobby somewhere in a hurry if I broke down. I don't have any good junk yards around me, and don't mind paying for quality new parts, so I'll go this route especially since we have demonstrated experience with it if I have any questions. As for me using aftermarket stuff, I've never been against accessorizing with aftermarket stuff as long as it was better than the original. If I already had chrome valve covers, and trailered this truck to the rallies then the aftermarket unit would be much more appealing. It's not like I would be installing an aftermarket vacuum booster or something. As for the poster wondering why I'm doing this, it is part of my pre-rally upgrade plan which this year includes Hydroboost (which allows me to completely get rid of all vacuum related stuff on my truck - one less belt, one less rotating assembly to wear out, a few less hoses and a small gain in underhood space), Electric fan, moving the radiator back to make room for an intercooler, and a high capacity alternator. I'll be surprised if all that gets done by June. LOL
vacuum for the heater controls and doors????????

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad we can't use the 99 and up hydroboost unit, as they are about half the cost of the F450 one.

Mel...Why can't we use this model of Hydro boost? I am currently adapting one for my Bronco, Is there something I should know about other than (Possible) metric fittings on the lines?

I have to redrill the mounting stud holes to the pattern of my 90 pedal assembly which is no big deal, I can access the rest of the parts easy enough. I was smart enough to grab the pedal as well when I got the hyrdo ass. thus I can adapt it too.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Vacuum for the heater and doors?
I forget which year we were discussing....definitely not on my F350/'86.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
the only way I'd want to fool with the hydroboost is if I could rig one of the setups from an f700 or so with the electric backup pump instead of the pressure accumulator. Those things are sweet. If you stall or have a low pressure drop at idle, the pump kicks in and you don't loose your power brakes no matter how long it takes to get pulled over. Also no jumpy steering if a pressure drop while manuvering at idle, the pump will kick in.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No vacuum needed 80 to 86 trucks have all manual (cable controlled) ventalation doors. The only reason the Moose Truck has vacuum is for the brakes. I'm not worried about power steering pump issues. In my 30 years of driving, probably close to owning 20 different vehicles, I've NEVER had a power steering pump issue. Of course now Murphy will make sure I do having said that, but damn the torpedoes! LOL As for why we can't use the cheaper unit, I'll let Towcat comment on that as I'm sure he has compared the to.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
No vacuum needed 80 to 86 trucks have all manual (cable controlled) ventalation doors. The only reason the Moose Truck has vacuum is for the brakes. I'm not worried about power steering pump issues. In my 30 years of driving, probably close to owning 20 different vehicles, I've NEVER had a power steering pump issue. Of course now Murphy will make sure I do having said that, but damn the torpedoes! LOL As for why we can't use the cheaper unit, I'll let Towcat comment on that as I'm sure he has compared the to.

Mel,
IIRC my friends 86 had a vacuum controlled heater/defrost duct diverter? If i remeber correctly, the shaft was froze up but the vacuum actuator was still working.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know my 87 has that. Maybe it was a feature of vehicles with AC, which mine doesn't have.

RedTruck

Reaction score
I've got an '84 that has A/C and it's all vacuum controlled.

Moose truck has no cruise?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope. Looks like only us bare bones models can live without vacuum then.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well got the big 48 mm Nut of the mounting bracket today for my hydroboost. Now to just accurately setup a template...for the 87-96 booster mounting holes and then drill out the plate and re-install it and thats one more small part done!

Pics to come of course....