Discouraging Buying Experience

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it might not be that bad, I'm just at the end of my rope here with this thing. I could spend $1000 more and have $1000 less in problems to fix.

Also it seems the airtube coming from the air cleaner on top of the engine is missing, would this cause any problems?

I am no expert on these engine but the only thing I could see is that you would be sucking in hot under hood air so EGT's may be slightly higher, and a less dense air charge to burn the fuel with. I am sure others will expand if I am missing something.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah thats all I could think of, either way I am just not happy at all with the seller or the truck at this point in time. I was excited to hit the ground running on this one and get the major things fixed, I am not anymore.

I got a better look at the mess of wiring under the dash, the fuel gauge, odometer aren't working, there is no hitch, no carpet, needs tires, has ugly bench seats, needs A/C work, countless amounts of interior trim bits and pieces. By the time its all said and done I've got a $4000 dollar truck. With that much spent I can have one with lower mileage and possibly even 4x4.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Sounds as if you are settling into the walk away from this truck. I had some incredible title issues with my truck in CA, but little money expense. Unless you suspect it is stolen, don't let title drive you away, it usually only requires a lot of patience. Seems there are plenty of other issues anyway. Like the Rainman said, " lots of other trucks out there."

Last edited:

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah, my post above pretty much got me convinced its a bad deal.

300,000 Mile truck $1100
Tires $500
Carpet $200
Hitch $200
Fluid Changes $200
Interior bits $100
Bumpers $150
Seats $300
Fuel system repairs, including, gauge, tank switch $???
Air Conditioning $???

Including the question marks I've got another $2000 there, easy. At that point I'm still not sure I'd consider it a $3000 truck... So why not just buy a $2000 - 3000 truck?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I think you're doing it right by holding out for a better deal.

I looked at a truck a few years ago that had been advertised on CL as a '92 4X4 w/5-sp/AC/XLT-package in full working order for $2K...talked to the guy several times, seemed legit. But it was located about 2.5 hrs away. So I went out to get it after work one day, got there about 11PM to find a 2WD automatic with bad A/C and serious electrical issues...the guy had to have his son hold the batt clamps on BY HAND :eek: to start it they were so gone. He had completely misrepresented everything about the truck and couldn't be bothered to put $20 of no-brainer repairs on it. And then he brought up the fact there was no title...sound familiar?

I waited and a couple weeks later got the truck I have now...same price, w/ clear title, everything worked as advertised and I was able to drive it home doing 80 most of the way...something my old 6.9/C6 could never do!
There will be another, better deal for you, just keep looking.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A $2000-$3000 truck probably won't have brand new tires, seat, carpet , fuel system, etc. I agree with walking away though. If you already have a bad feeling about the truck it will only suck MORE the whole time you're working on it, and any added "surprise " will just be that much more irritating.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
i dunno....id let mine go for $3500 and it basically has almost new tires...85% new brake system....decent interior (not perfect but not destroyed and disgusting either)... it starts runs and drives (drove it to the rally and back from PA) even new rear wheel cylinders and wheel seals

the only downsides to my truck are the oil leaks and the automatic trans oh and needs a u-joint in the front drive shaft

and it only has 137k on it

Last edited:

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The worst thing about cheap vehicles are the cheap, stupid owners. Many people buy a cheap vehicle and drive til it dies, then abandon it or sell it cheap, etc. This means NO maintenance. I have seen reliable but old cars bought by people that run them till the oil runs out; never even bothered to check it.

If you know what you are looking for in a truck and can do everything yourself, then you should be ok. Thing is, you can always find a nicer vehicle for less than it would cost to get the cheap one to that condition.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found that fact out when I compared this truck to another on craigslist and did the math of what it needed that the one on craigslist doesn't. It's quite shocking how a $100 here and $250 there and another $50 here will add up VERY quickly. Much quicker than just spending more on your truck.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You might be able to hammer the price and drive it for a while while looking for a replacement. Only be out the price of fuel and new fluids. Tires, batteries and and other bits are transferable, and a ZF is worth money on the sales forum. Registration might be a hassle but the scrap value and parts value cannot be ignored.

yowen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am looking to get the truck I'll have for a long time. I do not need a truck quickly at all, I need to find the "the one" that I'll keep for 10-20 years. The more I think about this just isn't the one for me. Like I said, all this **** went wrong when I tried to buy because something is telling me to run away! Haha.

I'd consider the value of the parts, but I just don't have the time to pull them off and part this thing out a piece at a time.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found out all those $1500 trucks turn out to be a $5000+ truck. Ashamed to admit it, BUT and that's a BIG BUT.
Truck $5000 "90" F350 (Cavitation)
Promar Engine $3100
Tires $930
Transmission rebuild $730
Injectors $250
Radiator $290
Batteries $220
IP $275

Total $10795

Experience--PRICELESS

EDIT: For got all the tax, title and registration. $425

Last edited: