diffrences between 6.9/7.3 and 7.3 PS turbo?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't bolt that turbo up to your IDI. Sorry dude. Now, if you are a guy who can fab and likes to fab, then you can make it work. But, that is going to mean fabbing a turbine inlet pipe connecting to both exhaust manifolds. a mount and location for the turbo, an oil feed and oil return for the turbo, and an intake "hat" going from the compressor to the intake. I'm sure there is other stuff I'm forgetting, it is not a bolt on.

Heath

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't bolt that turbo up to your IDI. Sorry dude. Now, if you are a guy who can fab and likes to fab, then you can make it work. But, that is going to mean fabbing a turbine inlet pipe connecting to both exhaust manifolds. a mount and location for the turbo, an oil feed and oil return for the turbo, and an intake "hat" going from the compressor to the intake. I'm sure there is other stuff I'm forgetting, it is not a bolt on.

Heath

ok...why BOTH manifolds?? the ATS just uses the pass side to spin it...

as for the rest....I can fab....so its all good...just worried about having too much boost...(is that ever really a problem?)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok...why BOTH manifolds?? the ATS just uses the pass side to spin it...

as for the rest....I can fab....so its all good...just worried about having too much boost...(is that ever really a problem?)

ATS, Hypermax, and Banks all use exhaust from both manifolds to drive the turbine. There would not be enough volume or pressure to get useable boost with just one. Plus, that turbo is a non-wastegated PSD turbo. You will have considerable turbo lag using that turbo as apposed to using a turbo designed for the IDI. And Yes.....overboosting is a possiblity. You must get a pyro and boost gauge before finishing the install. Otherwise you don't know what the motor is doing.

Remember, these IDI's have 21.5:1 compression ratios. 12-14 psi max. Most run under 12. Otherwise, kiss your headgakets goodbye.

Heath

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATS, Hypermax, and Banks all use exhaust from both manifolds to drive the turbine. There would not be enough volume or pressure to get useable boost with just one. Plus, that turbo is a non-wastegated PSD turbo. You will have considerable turbo lag using that turbo as apposed to using a turbo designed for the IDI. And Yes.....overboosting is a possiblity. You must get a pyro and boost gauge before finishing the install. Otherwise you don't know what the motor is doing.

Remember, these IDI's have 21.5:1 compression ratios. 12-14 psi max. Most run under 12. Otherwise, kiss your headgakets goodbye.

Heath

AH...wondered about the pic of the turbos only pickin up on one side..and why would the PSD turbo be diffrent?? smaller impellers?

im not worried about a wastegate...Ive read non-wastegates are better for highway haulin...and thats what I do...Im not tearin off the line anyway...its goin in this sucker....with that sucker behind it...not tryin to get there fast..just not have to get out and push on big hills....

pyro and boost are a MUST have for this as ya said...dont wanna burn my baby to the ground...(not after spendin 8hrs waxin it the otherday!!)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

sassyrel

Reaction score
as heath said--theres a lot of diff between that setup, and the one that fits the idi right---oil draindown turbo cast bracket, hole in intake pan, manifold castings are diff--crossover piece- both cast and pipe,hat for top of intake, connecting hoses, air filter assm----eeeeeekkk!!!!!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flatlander is the only one in recent memory to adapt one, and what an interesting installation he has! Works though. ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woodie did it to, I don't know if he ever made it over here or if he's still at TDS or even doing diesels anymore, but he was very successful with the PSD turbo. He seemed to have boost in the safe range for IDIs, really not much boost till he really got on it, then IIRC it maxed out around 7-8 psi.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Woodie did it to, I don't know if he ever made it over here or if he's still at TDS or even doing diesels anymore, but he was very successful with the PSD turbo. He seemed to have boost in the safe range for IDIs, really not much boost till he really got on it, then IIRC it maxed out around 7-8 psi.

Yes he did. But, he used a '99 2nd gen wastegated PSD turbo. Don't know if that matters, but he had good results with that turbo. Not too sure how the non-gated 1st gen PSD turbo will work. Hopefully he will let us know in the near futrure.;Sweet

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online