Difference between a Mitsubishi Starter and Nippodenso

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay we have a blizzard coming in and I was getting really tired of using a bottle torch to heat my starter up so it would work. Sounds crazy but that’s what it would take, seems to of had condensation or something turning into ice when its cold in the solenoid. Even when it would crank over it was really slow. I had a Mitsubishi starter and its a pretty heavy duty starter and long. Well I put the new nippo in that’s been laying here brand new for over a month and WOW! Don't hardly even need glow plugs now! I love the sound it makes when its cranking over it fires like a gas engine and fast.

I took some pictures here of the two side by side to compare. The nippo is a lot easier to fit in there without hitting the engine cross member but that top bolt was still a pain, mainly because my hands were frozen and I was laying under the truck on plywood in the snow. I didn't have to change any electrical connections at all. This starter seems like it won't put near the strain on the batteries as the old one.

Attachments

• IMG00229-20110131-0834.jpg
    IMG00229-20110131-0834.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG00230-20110131-0834.jpg
    IMG00230-20110131-0834.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG00231-20110131-0835.jpg
    IMG00231-20110131-0835.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG00232-20110131-0835.jpg
    IMG00232-20110131-0835.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG00233-20110131-0835.jpg
    IMG00233-20110131-0835.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 35

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I like the Denso. The one that came off my Dodge/Cummins was original... finally crapped out at 384,000km.

Dunno if it happens on the IDI, but the mitsubishi on my PSD gets saturated with fuel from a leak in my valley... runs down back of block into starter I guess.:rolleyes:

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya my fuel filter has been leaking on it. I just picked up a wix 33617 to eliminate the cast aluminum scre on bowl at the bottom of the filter

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
23 years and a zillion or so starts on my OE...what I did do a few years back was to replace the two (dried out) sealed bearings the armature rides on. That got it spinning like new again.

The Nippo looks cute and all...just hope it doesn't bust itself apart over time from cranking against all that compression.

I would think the OE starter is overly beefy for a reason ;Really

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
23 years and a zillion or so starts on my OE...what I did do a few years back was to replace the two (dried out) sealed bearings the armature rides on. That got it spinning like new again.
Where do you get them new bearings? Are they hard to replace?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that Nippodenso a parts store unit?

Guessing it's a mini-starter from the looks of it...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I well built mistubishi starter will crank the engine so fast you can't count the rpm. The fast starting rpm is what creates the heat for the diesel to ignite. Compressing air makes heat which lites off the diesel so... turning faster will take the strain off the batteries and starter...I use the mistubishi type starters and never crank on a low battery... That adds lots of heat due the the increase in amp draw....

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno I looked around on here for awhile for everyones opinion and a lot of people were telling me the nippodenso was the superior starter so I went for it. I haven't ever heard a diesel crank this fast I am really impressed. I love the sound it makes when its starting too it must be because its compressing so fast. If anyone wants my old starter its free, its outside in the snow in the scrap pile! I was going to keep it around for a spare but if this one goes out I will buy a new one again.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Denso. The one that came off my Dodge/Cummins was original... finally crapped out at 384,000km.

Dunno if it happens on the IDI, but the mitsubishi on my PSD gets saturated with fuel from a leak in my valley... runs down back of block into starter I guess.:rolleyes:

You need to replace the O'rings on your fuel filter drain valve, that's where the fuel is coming from, prolly get a couple extra MPG.

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/fdrain.php

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you get them new bearings? Are they hard to replace?
From any 'GOOD' parts store...there's a number on the side that can be ordered in, same day for me.
I may still have the box...I'll check for the number.

EDIT...the OE starter has two sealed bearings > I found one box Federal Mogul bearing # 201-cc
Don't remember (if) that number was for 'both bearings' but for sure it's for one.
I would guess that number is for both.

Last edited:

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno I looked around on here for awhile for everyones opinion and a lot of people were telling me the nippodenso was the superior starter so I went for it. ...
Not knocking what you got but, on a starter (for support/strength) I would prefer to see the pinion gear and shaft supported at the end.
My opinion comes from the drag boat industry where, mini starters are used in 15:1 + compression engines (only because it's of a lighter construction)...however they never seem to last that long.
Much luck and keep us updated.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I dunno I looked around on here for awhile for everyones opinion and a lot of people were telling me the nippodenso was the superior starter so I went for it. I haven't ever heard a diesel crank this fast I am really impressed. I love the sound it makes when its starting too it must be because its compressing so fast. If anyone wants my old starter its free, its outside in the snow in the scrap pile! I was going to keep it around for a spare but if this one goes out I will buy a new one again.

A good quality rebuild mitsu will last for ever and take lots of abuse,

A NP is an ok starter, and it spins faster than the mitsu, BUT the mitsu will last a long time under low voltage! a NP will die the 3-4 crank from low voltage

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
A good quality rebuild mitsu will last for ever and take lots of abuse,

A NP is an ok starter, and it spins faster than the mitsu, BUT the mitsu will last a long time under low voltage! a NP will die the 3-4 crank from low voltage
Now you tell me. LOL burnt one up so I bought a mitsu and replaced it and havn't looked back

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Now you tell me. LOL burnt one up so I bought a mitsu and replaced it and havn't looked back

Hard to beat a mitsu, i think the energizer bunny designed the things:D they just keep goin and going and going

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online