diesel wheeling

Gooch

Reaction score
Just wondering what I need to know about wheeling with a diesel is their anything I should be carfulof or watch for? such as water crossings ,.up steeps hills etc or is it all the same as a gasser?

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The front of the truck is heavier due to the weight of the diesel... Unless you were used to a V10.... With stock tires, they seem to like to bury the front end in loose mud.....

Diesels are killed by water intake, just like gassers..... Look at your intake and dont go fast when crossing deep water....

Hills should be no problem........

Gooch

Reaction score
I am saying if there's a large puddle in the trail would it be okay to fly through it and get that nice spalsh for picture reasons?????????????????? lol
I am planning on doing a 5-6.5" lift before I go wheeling . !

Whit

Reaction score
*****, downhill grades are a concern as the oil will come out of the front breather, I dont know what % grade it will do it at, If wheelin were a concern of mine the front breather would go away and I would add one near the back of the valve cover.

Cheers, Kevin

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as getting the engine wet, it is the same as a gasser..... The only thing I am unable to answer would be the turbo coolong off fast from the splash.. Might not be real great on it..... There are some off road racers on here that will be able to answer more..

Gooch

Reaction score
Thanks !!.. I don't plan on getting the turbo wet.. I just like to fly through some large puddles now and than like when you driving down the road and you see the poor soak person walkingin the rain and a huge puddle next to him in the street near the curb you gotta hit that.. ya know the big SPLASH !!!!!

Ramprat

Inside your OODA
Reaction score
Made the Easter Jeep Safari in 99 with another guy in a F250 PDS (or is his a F35o, I can't remember) and on 3+ hills in Moab we put jeeps & other build 4 wheelers to shame:cool :cool :cool

In the San Juans going over a mountain pass (think it was the immajean, but once again my CRS is kicking in) we ended up in water deeper than the door jambs. When the exhaust finally came up instead of just blowing bubbles she was a smoking something fierce but no harm no foul.

I also ran the front tire pressure at 14-18 psi and the rear at 10psi. Guy in the other PSD took a 4 trail in Moab & he was running 10psi all around & blew a front tire's bead.

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
These trucks are heavy in the front end. I've bogged down really quick in wet weather. The difference between wheelin' in a gasser is that the diesels have a lot of torque and they can get buried quick!!!

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
from personal experience.... buy the biggest winch you can afford, other than that get a tire with the largest voids between lugs you can (or you can stand to drive onroad) because the diesel won't rev like a gasser and clean out a all-terrain tire

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
You can use the extra weight to your advantage to, When the going gets tough use the momentom u can get bulit up. As for the turbo its farily well protected but if it does get wet its not the end of the world. one thing is dont get the rear end or the front end hopping.

DBogo

Reaction score
so is going through a big puddle on the side of the road ok or am i going to screw something up

budtoh3zo

Reaction score
Never hurt any of are diesels. A diesel is actually better in the water then a gasser. If you have a pyro just try to have less then a 1000* when u hit water. But going to work we have sprayed are turbos at 1200* and no problems yet.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i couldnt see a large amount of water reaching the turbo since on 7.3s and 6.0s its almost under the cowl, i wouldnt be afraid to do it if it was my truck, just dont go overboard with smashing into water

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've wheeled the snot out of my 01 cummins...never had a problem..except...the cold air intake, had to put the box back on to wheel in sloppy stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online