Diesel warning indicator light help

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all I recently installed some overhead switches to control the ignition system in my truck. Essentially, the switches power a system of relays that then connect the yellow power wires to the correlating component wires that are used to power and start the truck. So instead of the black and yellow box under the steering column bridging the power wires to the component wires when the key is turned, the power and component wires are all plugged into relays that the switches activate. The key and the black box the wires used to plug into is no longer being used. only the wires.

The glow plugs are controlled by another switch and is working fine.

So after I wired everything up, the truck starts and runs fine. the only problem is the engine temp and fuel filter lights are on constantly whenever the on button is pressed.

Currently, I have it wired like this:

The on button activate these relays:
R/LG to Y
BK/LG to Y
GY/Y to Y
GY/Y to Y
GY/Y to Y
BK/LB to BK
P/LB to BK

The start button only activates this relay:
R/LB to Y

The glow plug light comes on only when I hold hit the glow plug switch and when cranking but the fuel filter and engine temp light are constantly on. The water in fuel light doesn't come on at all. The truck never had a problem with these lights before I did all this. If it will help to figure the problem out I can upload a pic of the wiring diagram I am using. Does anyone have any idea as to what can be going on? Thank you for taking the time to read this!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those lights normally come on when the key switch is put to "start," wonder if you crossed something up? That's all I can think of without seeing a diagram.

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok everyone, this is the wiring diagram I've been using. Let me know if you need a picture of the distribution pages as well.
The yellow wires from the engine compartment fuse box that are always hot are the power in for the relays and the colored wires that correspond to each yellow wire are the power out.
You must be registered for see images attach

It seemed to me that the R/LG wire is being activated while in start. Originally I had this wire being powered with the start switch but the truck will only run for the split second I am holding the start button down, then it would die as soon as I wasn't pressing it. After I wired it to the on button instead, The truck would start and run great but the lights remained on.

This is the only wire being powered with the start button.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attachments didn't work right... diagnosing by your description only

Sounds like the fuel safety shutoff on the IP is losing power... frontmost connector on the IP, drivers side.

R/LG should be hot in start or run, according to the diagram here:

Last edited:

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is the only wire being activated in start

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Those lights normally come on when the key switch is put to "start," wonder if you crossed something up? That's all I can think of without seeing a diagram.

They come on in the run position.

Can you do up a diagram showing what you've done? Pen and paper will do.
I'm also not quite sure what you used relays. A heavy duty switch would be easier, and avoid any back feeding or anything.
Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They come on in the run position.

On both of my trucks the diesel specific warning lights illuminate only when the starter is cranked or the sensor is tripped. OP said his were constantly illuminated... except the water in fuel light, which is exactly what mine do in start.

I think I found your problem:

P1 and P2 on your factory diagram shows the diesel warning cluster being grounded in start. This is what illuminates the warning panel as a bulb test. That's the BK/LB and P/W you have rigged to your ON switch, both of which should be moved to just be on START.

R/LG should be hot in both start AND run, otherwise the fss loses power and kills the truck.

Last edited:

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, that one. Waiting to hear back from the op... shoulda solved the issue with fixes above

aiyana7.3

IDI Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok everyone, sorry for taking so long to reply I was away from the truck for a little bit. BDCarrillo, I took your advise and it worked! The truck starts and runs with no problems from any of the lights. 79jasper, I used a series of relays for two reasons: The switches I wanted to use can only handle 20 amps but the wires for the ignition system are 20 amps to 50 amps, and with the relays I only had route 3 wires up to the overhead console instead of around 16 wires including a couple of big wires. Not having to use the relays was my first idea but I couldn't make it happen.
Thanks everyone for all of your help like always! When I'm done with the interior I'll be sure to post some pictures for everyone. Thanks again!

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear that it's working right! I'm curious to see photos of the switchpanel.