DIeseL require special fuel line.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me does diesel require special line for fuel, the autozone guy has no idea.
Thanks

damac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Technically it does and you might be surprised to find very little "fuel" line out there is diesel rated. Up to you if you want to take the chance of hosing breaking down and causing restrictions and/or bits to be pumped through your injection system. That could be a very costly mistake.

If you search mccaster carr's catalog for nylon tubing you will find a couple results that is rated best for diesel fuel specifically. I found this by having to research what was on my old 80's vw diesels in the 80's. That is what there hard runs were under the car. Seem to hold up well enough run under the car, but you could for example take a piece and bend/kink it with your bare hands. Yet you can find the material in one piece sometimes on old cars. Before that they had metal runs.

They also have some Clear Tygothane Polyurethane Tubing which I have used for over a year when transitioning in the engine bay or back at the tank. Surprisingly this has held up for almost 2 years and every time I have done work on my injection lines like for a filter change, etc. the line has shown its still as pliable without hardening, cracking or clouding.

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy diesel hose from big truck service centers parts departments, because you know whatever they carry probably works alright.

Lots of guys on here swear by Gates and Goodyear I think; I' sure they will chime in. The Navistar dealer near me uses Dayco, so that is what I use. its like 90 cents a foot.

jlwoods99

Reaction score
When you say Goodyear you. Mean their fuel line? I guess I'll just use fuel line at the fuel selector valve to eliminate the leak at steel line. I'm in the middle of nowhere and am having probs finding everything to get it start easy. Yesterday could only get it started with a diesel soaked rag near the intake.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
International used nylon air brake hose from the factory. 30+ years its like new still. I bought some air brake hose for my '74 pickup and it was cheap, like $5 to run all new lines.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
not use regular gas hose it will get soft and gummy. If you have to use local parts house stuff, get the stuff that is rated for fuel injection . It will hold up to diesel and even biodiesel , it's also bad expensive

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you get the hose from Autozone, get the hose rated for hydraulic fluid. IIRC 30r9.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually use 30r7 hose for diesel.
napa has it , or I order from mcmaster carr

Like ^^^ HE ^^^ said, 30R7 is diesel-rated hose.

Plain old gasoline hose will deteriorate and soften in short order.

One would think it would be the other way around.

Most sensible auto-parts stores keep 30R7 for BOTH diesel and gasoline applications, rather than the confusion of stocking both.

These rating numbers are by law clearly marked about every foot on the hose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online