Dies 1-2 seconds after start

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well we're getting around to working on moms truck again, so far this year its had a new rear end installed, 1 new clutch set and lucky mod flywheel which we gave up on, a brand new turbo straight from Garrett, a new rebuilt IP from Midwest, reman injectors from diesel specialties or whatever crackpot place that was, full set of new tie rods and drag links (F350), and now getting ready to put in a brand new Valeo DM flywheel and clutch kit after our lucky mod failed.
So I start it after saw 3 months of not running, and it fires right up, SWEET right. Wrong cus it dies like 2 seconds after starting and takes a good 30 seconds of cranking to get it to start back up again.
That fast of a kill I think is a leak at the IP, but I honestly dont know how. This truck is almost brand new after all the work, and it still doesnt run for a crap. My dad wants to pull the engine bore it .010 and rebuilt it. But at this point I think the thing just doesnt want to run anymore and im ready to leave it at the end of the driveway with the keys in it for the illegal mexicans to come take it.
So where do you think the leak is at?

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Look for fuel around the returns T's and around the fuel filter. The drain on the later 7.3s have an O-ring in the drain assembly and it can wear and start to leak allowing air in the filter which causes it to die. It takes some cranking to fill the filter back up and as long as it's running it keeps the air out. Mine did this and if it sat to long it would allow the fuel to drain back to the tank from the filter. The O-ring is available from Ford.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Classic air leak. Check the fuel filter for fullness before you try to start it.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
The drain on the later 7.3s have an O-ring in the drain assembly and it can wear and start to leak allowing air in the filter which causes it to die.

Where is this located at??

I think this too may also be my problem

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Where is this located at??

I think this too may also be my problem

On the bottom of the fuel bowl. There is a furled brass assembly. Disassemble the filter assembly and unscrew the drain assembly holding the furled knob on the outside and using a wrench on the inside. You'll see the O-ring when you take it apart. If you're desperate you can flip the O-ring over and reassemble until you can get the part from Ford.

bradrob82

Martinsburg Fireman
Reaction score
if your refering to the fuel pump on the pass side of the block, i have replaced mine here recently in the last couple weeks. and i still have that problem.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Your lines may have drained the fuel all the way back to the tank. Fairly common for a diesel that sits if there's any kind of air leaks at all. You get a lucky fire up with the fuel handythen run out. You may have to fuss with the thing for a while to get the system fully primed before you'll be able to chase down the leak.
Right about the time you're ready to grenade the thing, another half hour and you should be running :D

-----Robert

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
I just had this same exact problem on my diesel and it costs about $4 bucks to fix. it was my return lines on the passenger side bank. all four were leaking at the damn slide clamps and the damn o rings under the caps. 5/8 wrench to undo all the injector caps, slide off the caps, rip the junk o rings off, put new ones on. do all 4 at the same time. it's going to fire up like crap again, but after some cranking to get it going, let it be, and bleed the fuel filter and you wont have the problem anymore!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin