died on road, what would be the cause

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
By the way, do you have a cherry picker there to yank those heads off and set them back on with? If not, I've got one here you can use. Without a cherry picker it's real hard to set them on without tearing up the new gaskets, especially if you got that felpro junk. The soft coating on those things is near impossible to not damage during installation.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robert; I don't think he realizes those heads weigh 85#. Damn hard to get them back on the dowels without a cherry picker.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Robert; I don't think he realizes those heads weigh 85#. Damn hard to get them back on the dowels without a cherry picker.

That's what I'm worried about. Mines already sitting on a trailer where I could run it by there, but I haven't heard from him.

Plopping a set of heads on then heading off 1500 miles to florida I'd sure want to make sure they went on square :eek:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just a little concerned that we are pulling heads without a diagnosis. :dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm just a little concerned that we are pulling heads without a diagnosis. :dunno

Me too. I've got the test stuff right here but unfortunatly it sounds like they've already torn into it

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would help if we know what engine you have 6.9 or 7.3?

Could be you blew a head gasket or cavitation. Take the GP's out and turn the engine over, see if coolant shoots out of any one cylinder. That will prevent it from hydrolocking.

Me too. I've got the test stuff right here but unfortunatly it sounds like they've already torn into it

Me too, wonder if he pulled the GP's and turned it over. Didn't answer that.

Maybe he's to busy working on it the wrong way.

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
Having trouble getting the pm to work with my phone. No internet out here. been very busy working on it the wrong way, I have no doubt about that.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... Keep us on the same page as you are so we can collectively help you along...

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
iFyou need to borrow a cherry picker or bottom tap , or test equipment, some precut allignment studs for mounting heads, I can run that all by . My cherrypicker is already sitting on a trailer

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
By the way, if you get in there and find you need some machine work on something don't take it ti that slug in Morrilton, he couldn;t find his **** with both hands. Run it into Little Rock to Hillcrest Camshaft, they are a heavy diesel specialty shop. they do all the work for the IH dealer . amd you are going to have to have a bottoming tap to clean the block threads out and only one place in the state carries them, all the rest say they have them over the phone but when you walk in the door they try to sell you a plug tap and that will not clean the threads all the way to the bottom ( plug tap is a standard tapered tap for starting a new thread) your new gasket will not torque down properly if a bottom tap is not used