Did not expect an electric fuel pump to be such an improvement!

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I'd been holding off upgrading to an electric fuel pump for a few years - even put in a new mechanical lift pump last year pre-emptively.

Well.

Quite possibly the single best, least expensive improvement to the vehicle's drive ability. It's faster off the line, idles more smoothly, but a bit louder, RPMs seem more steady. All around good thing.

Using a Walbro FRB-13-2 12V 43GPH FUEL PUMP 6-8PSI - less than $100.00

I need to wire my 3 way valves and I'll have a report on how they behave on WVO. I have one for each fuel but I'm running default now with no power to the valves so it's defaulted to diesel at the moment.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Looks like a nifty little commercial duty pump, rated for a 4' lift too. I notice one marine site recomends mounting that thing with a 70 micron screen before it. Probably a good idea.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yep probably going to just put one of the sight glass style ones on it....

The inlet has a 70 micron on it already though...

http://www.fuel-pumps.net/300102x.html

They might have been making reference to the possibility of folks running the alternate 420 micron basket filter inside the thing. , but still it/s better to have one on front that you can see into so you can tell when the screen needs cleaning. Saves a lot of guess work when you get a bum batch of fuel and need to keep stopping to clean the screen. If it's sealed up inside the pump housing, yo u have to guess.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this need to be mounted vertically, or can it run horizontally? Also, where is yours located, and do you have any pics of the install?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't want to Hijack your thread. So I posted my own.

Last edited:

RedTruck

Reaction score
but a bit louder

Is the noise diesel rattle or noise from your new pump? Changing the supply pressure to your IP can change the timing.

Good to hear it's working well for you though. I've got to get an electric pump on mine one of these days.

Paul

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Is the noise diesel rattle or noise from your new pump? Changing the supply pressure to your IP can change the timing.

Good to hear it's working well for you though. I've got to get an electric pump on mine one of these days.

Paul

Lift pump pressures will not change the timing. I heard the stories and put it to the test. My Facet Dura Lift puts out 9-11.5 psi at 30 GPH WAY more than most of the E pumps folks are running . I put a pressure regulator on the thing with a gauge and checked the timing with it wide open and again with it regulated below factory mechanical pump spec and it made zero difference on the timing. I recenlty discovered where that rumor came from it's where someone tried to use a factory electric high pressure injection pump off a gasser to feed a diesel injection pump which could be as much as 60 psi, but that was not a lift pump. Any pump in the lift pump class will not give you problems. You are not supposed to use an injection pump as a lift pump under any circumstances. I've even run a Holley blue at 14 psi with no perceivable change, but that is still in the basic lift pump catagory

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing one. It's one of the more common upgrades that we really DO need to have shown in our tech articles section. In an effort to more scientifically approach the fuel inlet presure PSI question, I've asked my pump guy to do some tests the next time we have a Moose Pump on the test stand, in order that we might ascertain at what presure does the IP start to feel the effects. We know 50 or 60 PSI is definitely in the problem zone, which rules out a lot of factory pumps, but we don't know exactly where the cut-off is for a precise recommendation. We do have a fair number of members running the Holley blue as well, which probably puts things safely into the 14 PSI range without issue. The Moose Pumps are being calibrated to go with the Holley Red, exactly at 7 PSI.