Did all Crew Cabs have locking rear diffs?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My dads Crew Cab project truck (4x4 F350 E4OD) and my moms green Crew Cab (4x4 F350 ZF5) both had factory locking diffs. My moms truck no longer does because we burned that one up and had to replace it. But my brother has that Crew Cab parts truck that we have been stripping and his rear end in his single cab has been having issues for some time now. Issues that we just can't pin down the cause on. So I'm wondering if its worth putting the rear axle from that parts truck into my brothers truck, and part of that wondering is the question were all crew cabs lockers? The rear axle in question no longer has a tag on it and its been serviced recently judging by the gear oil in there.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Check the axle code on the door jamb decal... if it has a letter, like 'C9' its the limited slip.

IMO, the Limited-slip is more of a "Generous-Slip" ;Really Its lackluster performance made me step up to a real locker.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
My brown truck has a real locker in the rear, it clicks when you turn sharp corners. I don't have much experience with the factory lockers, my dads truck only ran for a few hundred miles before we tore it apart and I never got to drive my moms truck when it had the locker. I figure even the factory locker has to be a plus over a one legger.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Up until about 150,000 miles the factory LS in mine was noticeable, straight line with both of them burning, or slap it sideways and slide... But for the last 4,000 it's been getting weaker and weaker now it's basically a one wheeled wonder.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 4 door is open. It has a manual tranny. My supercab has a limited slip, but it also has an auto. Every auto truck I have had/played with has had a limited slip.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Hmmm not sure. Maybe if my CC had enough nuts to bust a tire--any tire loose I'd know for sure LOL but I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
My crew cab was an auto and it was a ls. I was having leaks and was replacing gear oil every week or so and didn't use the additive so now it's a one legger.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never heard of a true on/off locker from factory. Limited slip - sure.

Mine has it and its ok, but not great. Makes a noticeable difference for in the snow and all owes me to kick out the back end on command if I'm on wet pavement.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
My crew cab was built with an open diff. I have since replaced the carrier with a limited slip unit.
John