DI INJECTORS IN A IDI

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I have one of these trucks are they are easy and cheap to work on. If I wanted to throw money at something I would buy anoher common rail cummins. Its easy to make 800+ hp with bolt ons if you got the jack.

well i have built cummins for customers, everyone has them if u ask me they are for the people that dont want a challenge and i will admit they are easy to make big power but i like people asking what my truck is i have more people ask me ?s and say its bad a$$ than most of the cummins, the main reason the cummins can make so much power is they have good fuel systems and thick cly walls,
i just like having something not many people do;Sweet thats just my opinion

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pre cup will melt and burn out you wouls have to modify or remove the precup to make it work properly and the larger precup would cause a lower cr gaining more boost options

thats what i was looking for, may i ask how u know this?:dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the pre cup will melt and burn out you wouls have to modify or remove the precup to make it work properly and the larger precup would cause a lower cr gaining more boost options

Why would the precup "melt and burn out"??????:dunno:confused: That doesn't seem likely as they are designed to live in the extreme environment as part of a compression ignition engine's combustion chamber.

I'm not following. Please elaborate.

Heath

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would the precup "melt and burn out"??????:dunno:confused: That doesn't seem likely as they are designed to live in the extreme environment as part of a compression ignition engine's combustion chamber.

I'm not following. Please elaborate.

Heath

x4!!!!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the precup would melt, but the fuel would pool on the walls and burn very poorly. If you want to see what this looks/feels like, just stick in a set of DPS injectors. LOL

dieselman29200

Pa. Oil Burner
Reaction score
I think the best idea is to be able to do away with the pre chambers, add the DI injectors and replace the IDI pistons with DI swirl pistons. If you could convert this IDI to DI I think you could make a lot of reliable power compaired to the stock IDI.

sootman73

Reaction score
i can see how the precups would get too hot with the fuel spraying down. its just like a new diesel. the dealerships can tell when there is a programmer on them by looking at the piston. with the extra fuel comes more heat. it would have very obvious heat markings on the piston top.

and since the stock injectors shoot straight down there wouldn't be the necessity of having such strong precup walls...

i dunno though. just thought it made sense.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they will burn up fast and carbonize quick without the perfect amount of fuel there was a local machine shop guy who tried it and it was a mess he had it disassembled in his shop and the precups sagged about a 1/4 inch

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i really dont think they would melt they might get hotter than normal but it takes alot of heat to melt metal (i went to school btw having to do with metals) just like using an oxyfuel torch on steel that flame is around 6000 degrees which is extremly hot compared to a match that burns at i think 400? anyways iam not shure what inconeel melts at but iam shure its not low, anyone know how hot the cyls get?

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Iconel melts at 1400C wich is about 2500F There is another type of iconel that melts about 200 degrees higher and i dont know wich one is in there.
Ken

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iconel melts at 1400C wich is about 2500F There is another type of iconel that melts about 200 degrees higher and i dont know wich one is in there.
Ken

well maby i can make new cups out of a different metal? but on a DI diesel the fuel hits the sides of the dish in the piston and thats alluminum and it doesent melt well people do doit but thats a different story lol