DI INJECTORS IN A IDI

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HEY GUYS SO I WAS THINKING AND IAM SHURE SOME OF U ARE GOING TO SAY THIS WILL NEVER WORK OR MABY IT WILL, SO ANYWAYS THE PRECHAMBERS I HEAR CALLED SWIRL CHAMBERS? IF THIS IS CORRECT THEN THAT MEANS THE FUEL IS SWIRLED AROUND IN THE CHAMBER WITH AIR FIRST(IF THIS IS INCORRECT PLEASE CORRECT ME) SO IF THIS IS THE WAY THIS WORKS THAN PUTTING DI INJECTORS IN THE HEAD WOULD TECHNICALLY WORK EVEN THOUGH THE SPRAY IS SIDE WAYS BECAUSE IT WOULD SWIRL WITH THE AIR IN THE CHAMBER? IAM I COMPLETLY OUT THEIR? :dunnocookooOR DOES SOMEONE WANA TRY CUZ I THINK I CAN GET INJECTORS TO WORK;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know, as I don't think it has been tried before. If you can find suitable injector and get them in the head, it won't hurt to try. My biggest question is what pop pressure is needed and can the DB2 provide it? Most DI injectors open a several thousand psi more than our IDI injectors.

Heath

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know, as I don't think it has been tried before. If you can find suitable injector and get them in the head, it won't hurt to try. My biggest question is what pop pressure is needed and can the DB2 provide it? Most DI injectors open a several thousand psi more than our IDI injectors.

Heath

i can make 12v injectors work and they pop at 260-280bar (3700-4400psi) if iam correct but idk if it might blow up the pre chambers? and isnt the db2 able to make 6700 psi

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not sure one would call it swirling air in the precup chambers. Whats really happening in the idi is all the cylinder volume plus the boostair is conpressed into the area of the precup. There is about a 40 thousands gap between the head and the piston plus the piston richardo cups. Then you add the valve recess area into the heads and you now have all the combined area for compression. I know this sounds involved and for some its overwhelming. As you compress the air it builds heat. Diesel fuel requires around 940 degrees to ignite as per Rudolf Diesel in his book. The precups have some degree of swirl to the air being compressed into them but I'm not sure how and what the path is. There is a step build into the crown of the cups too. I'm not sure our pumps could live very long pushing 3000 to 5000 lbs of pressure but it looks like something that can work... For how long is still on the table... Maybe our pump master can "look into these pressures" with his pump designer....:sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL

I don't know. We've debated the idea of this before. Here is what your dealing with....

You must be registered for see images

For starters, you would have to come up with nozzle that was about 1/2" longer, just to get it centered in the prechamber. ;Really

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL

I don't know. We've debated the idea of this before. Here is what your dealing with....

You must be registered for see images

For starters, you would have to come up with nozzle that was about 1/2" longer, just to get it centered in the prechamber. ;Really
ive seen this picture before and the 12v is a little longer not a half inch, but why do u say it needs to be a half longer?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well it seems to me, you don't want to be just spraying fuel on the precup sides. :dunno

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Converting to a digital injection system is an interesting possibility. Use the DB2 spot to drive a high pressure pump. Find places to mount sensors. Find an electronic injector that will fit (or make some sort of a screw-in adapter). Find the right fuel rail sizes (a science to that!). Turbo, of course. People convert carbureted gas engine to EFI all the time. Why not do the equivalent to an old school diesel? Lots os tuning to do, but if you used the DB2 calibration as a map, you could get all the basics programmed. Then would come a lot of fun but expensive time on the dyno, then more tuning in the truck for the transient stuff.

Fishin76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be cool, but the fact that these engines are not produced any more kinda limits the business of selling a prepackaged kit. IMO. Anything like that would be a one-off, and every implementation would be different.

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it seems to me, you don't want to be just spraying fuel on the precup sides. :dunno
thats the question i was wanting to find if someone knew what would happen if that was the case, like would we have to advane the timing really far or would it just not burn?

97idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Converting to a digital injection system is an interesting possibility. Use the DB2 spot to drive a high pressure pump. Find places to mount sensors. Find an electronic injector that will fit (or make some sort of a screw-in adapter). Find the right fuel rail sizes (a science to that!). Turbo, of course. People convert carbureted gas engine to EFI all the time. Why not do the equivalent to an old school diesel? Lots os tuning to do, but if you used the DB2 calibration as a map, you could get all the basics programmed. Then would come a lot of fun but expensive time on the dyno, then more tuning in the truck for the transient stuff.

not to really get ur idea but we are talking about direct mechanical injection, and as for a comonrail set up their are companys developing a setup for the 7.3l powerstroke,
personally i dont like elc fuel injection it just gets to complicated and too much can go wrong, but it would be cool if it wouldnt be so expensive;Sweet

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only reason I have one of these trucks are they are easy and cheap to work on. If I wanted to throw money at something I would buy anoher common rail cummins. Its easy to make 800+ hp with bolt ons if you got the jack.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the pre cup will melt and burn out you wouls have to modify or remove the precup to make it work properly and the larger precup would cause a lower cr gaining more boost options