details about cummins

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Hello all. I've just been wondering what the history of cummins is like. I see there are have been 4 different cummins engine in rams over the years. Just wondering what the difference in all of them are. Are they indirect injection or direct or a mix? I'd imagine the new ones are direct injection, right? Are the old ones indirect. Our ram has injector lines running to injectors so i'm assuming indirect there. What are the pop pressures on the injectors? Do the newer direct injectors in the new engine inject at a pressure like the powerstrokes at like 28,000-32,000 psi?

Is the new turbo on the new engine as good as the 6L ford turbo with EVTR and what not?

basically whats the scoop on all the dodge/cummins?

I posted this question here because this dodge forum seems to get the most activity. Didn't know where else i should post it.

Last edited:

MUDDY

Reaction score
all of em direct injection

main diff is the injection pumps. early rigs 89 thru 93 had a rotary ve pump. the 94-98.0 2nd gens had the best. a p7100 inline pump. different versions of p7100were used depending on yr and tranny. these pumps wld flow a lot of fuel and very dependable pumps. the 98.5 models went to the computor controled vp44 pump and went to 24 valve engine. in 03 they went to a common rail system. the new rigs run at 23,500 psi up to 27000psi with a pressure box. the new turbos are ok but too small when ya crank up the power. i felt need to upgrade to a bigger trbo on mine

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Eric,

>>> Click Here <<< This gives a good break down of what year contained what, some simple fixes, things to look out for, ratings and so such... Good information laid out fairly decent.

Oh BTW I'll be in your neck of the woods in the first part of April.

2005Driver

**** Star
Reaction score
Hey Trav...I made it over here!!!!!!!!!

Different and some getting used to...how do I add my mods in my sig???

I am kinda lost!!!!!

Baaah baaah baaah...............Jason cookoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online