Denso style high tork starters?

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put one of the supposedly better Denso style high tork starters, what I call a gear reduction starter I bought from DB and put it in my 7.3 IDI. when I got it, it had a dead short in it It nearly burned my truck up. I took it out of the truck and took it apart. I found that the big Pos lug had grounded out because there is nothing to stop the lug from spinning and hitting the case. the more I looked at it the more I realized that it was really cheaply made. I blamed myself for expecting anything more for $99. and I was leaving for a race so I put it back in. I put it in with new batteries and cleaned and inspected all the cable ends.

This thing has no guts it actually has a hard time spinning that old motor. I doubt that it even spins faster even know it makes lots of noise. I just saw another article about these china nock off starters. I was looking for other owners comments.

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from my post in another thread.

I have one of those Denso STYLE starters, it is a copy of a nippondenso and made in china but it works great and starts very fast. Test it first before you put it in the truck, mine came from the factory with the solenoid stuck on. I took it apart and the contact washer inside had welded itself in the on position. Of course I didn't test mine before installing and had installed it and was highly suprised when I conected the battery cable and it started turning over the engine.

Once fixing this issue, the starter has worked every day no problem yet.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I switched over over to the nippo starter and never experienced the problem you state, I did have that problem with the delco starter (direct drive) sticking on...

howards@howard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheap starters

The point I am trying to get at is . Who else has gotten stuck with these cheap imitation nippondenso starters? and what's your story ? I think I am going to call DB and complain. I also want to make others aware of these apparently junk knock off starters are no good Thanks for your input.

So far I have had only bad reports about the FAKE starters this company is now selling

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Mitsubishi that had a lifetime warranty from Pep Boys. When it went bad they tried to give me a replacement that looked nothing like the Mitsubishi and looked more like the Denso one. I told them I wanted exactly the same kind that came out and they said they no longer carry it so they gave me a full refund on the starter and gave me the core charge money as well. Took the money they gave me bought one at Advance Auto Parts and they gave me the Mitsubishi with a lifetime warranty. If I had a beat starter to trade them I would have made a hundred dollar profit from the core charge from Pep Boys. Instead it cost me $20.00 out of pocket because of the price difference. I was glad to pay the extra cash knowing I was getting a good starter that now also has a lifetime warranty.

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a Nippon Denso Starter on my truck and it is great, spins very fast and quick. It starts my truck very fast and has never given me a problem. I guess even the best of companies will have a mistake here and there. The Nippon Denso unit was original equipment on many Case Loaders and is not just a later developed knock-off starter.

Here are the case loaders that the Nippon Denso unit fits as well:
CRAWLER LOADERS 455C 1987-1994
CRAWLER TRACTORS 450B 207 Diesel 1978-1989
CRAWLERS 450C 1987-1994
CRAWLERS 450C 207 Diesel 1979-1983
CRAWLERS 480C 188 / 207 Diesel 1979-1980
LOADERS 480C Diesel Engines 1979-1988
LOADERS 480D Diesel Engines 1979-1988
LOADERS 480E Diesel Engines 1979-1994
LOADERS 480F Diesel Engines 1989-1994
LOADERS 580C Diesel Engines 1979-1987
LOADERS 580D Diesel Engines 1979-1987
LOADERS W11 / W11B / W11C 207 / 240 Diesel 1979-1988
UNI-LOADERS 1835B 188 Diesel 1982-1988
UNI-LOADERS 1845B 188 Diesel 1982-1985

I bought a lifetime warranty starter for my truck while it was still a gas powered vehicle from autozone or advance and it started my truck a total of 3 times before the nose fell off the start and I had to pull the inspection plate off the trans to get all the pieces out. I took it back for a replacement and I had to argue with them for about an hour, they told me that I must have dropped it to break it like that and I would not be getting another one. I am still not sure why it broke, unless it was just very poorly made, the truck always started easy, so that would not have caused it to break, who knows?

Last edited:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I went from a denso to the mitsubishi February 1st, 2003, same day Columbia burned up... was watching the coverage on the TV at pep boys when I bought the starter. Anyways, this starter in my opinion is way better than the denso. The first thing I noticed when i installed it was how much quieter and faster it was compared to the old one.

sootman73

Reaction score
i just put the denso style on from DB electrical. works better than the really crappy "lifetime warranty" ones from any of the auto stores around. the ones at autozone, napa, oreilley's are junk.

i dont trust anything with a lifetime warranty! i've found that they say that and you have to replace it a year from now. my last starter i bought in december. it half died one day. (speed dropped in half and if my motor wasn't in such good shape it would have never fired)

the new one for $115 delivered has worked perfect and spins faster that anything else before.

and why are you taking it apart? you probably void the warranty by doing that. you will have to wait a few days to get a new one but thats what you get with ordering online.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online