Decisions

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
I have to make a decision and need help. Since I have my patrol K9 I no longer need a daily driver (take home car) hence why I had two truck so if one breaks down the other is available.

I have to decide between my 88 eclb 4wd idi and 97 eclb 7.3. 2wd.

88 has ZF5 with hypermax turbo kit, gooseneck hitch and unknown miles, says 88k on the odometer so not sure how many times it's turned over. Need to stop injector leak, put exhaust on it, and body work.

97 has over 300k, runs like a champ but could stand new injectors and glowplugs. Has ts chip w/canned tunes, 1.0 housing, e fuel and a e4od with approximately 75k on ford HD rebuild and has pinion brake so can be mated go a trans case for when I get front axle.

I want to have an all purpose farm, hunting and camping truck that I can jump in and go. I'm very mechanically inclined, grew up in farm so not afraid to get my hands dirty.

What is my best option? I know people here have more experience and knowledge than me so please let me know what you think.

Don't want to buy new truck so...

Thanks

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Exactly lol both are extended cab which I need for my daughter so I'm having a difficult time but was told one has to go by the boss lol

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think I could give up the 4wd 5 speed. Psd might make more power but if you're going to use the truck for hunting and around the farm you will miss the front axle your idi already has while waiting to do the 4wd conversion on the 97. Not saying this because I have an idi but I would keep the 88 if I was you

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
I've worked on tractors my whole life but idi is new but doesn't seem as complicated to work on reservation being the body work which I have never done.

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
How hard would it be to bring the idi to the same power level the psd is at now?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
before I can answer this, I would need to know what style IDI, 250 or 350?
if its a 350, keep it,
if its got that TTB D50, off it!

if I were you, I would tell boss man that I will let one go soon as the PSD is 4wd.
slap 05 axles under the PSD,a transfer and new shafts. and roll that one.

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
So psd with 300k and auto is still better than the idi with 5speed? I'm so undecided on everything...this is so difficult. I wish I could mix the two. Have 5 speed psd 4wd

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 02 PSD project that I was exploring engine options.
one was to take my $2000 98 E350 and scrap it and use the engine.
but the damn thing runs like a top @ 305K
so I decided to park it and use it as a back up.

the IDI's are so damn simple, no electronics! but its an old vehicle.
the newer powerstroke has interior that's more comfortable.
and as I get older, I appreciate a good seat even more.

both are great trucks, and will last a lot longer,.
as I said, the front axle on the brick nose would be my turning point.

if you have family close, maybe you can park one there?

the auto truck can be fixed with a ZF5 and a custom tune.

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Just talked to the boss if we get the place with 11.5 acres that I'm negotiating for i can keep em both might be the turning poinr

wildbillcody97

Reaction score
Ok so thinking... 6 beers in so stand by lol...take the e4od and sell it, take the bed (no rust), gooseneck hitch ( like the one for the psd better) and interior rubber mat (work truck xl) and replace carpet in idi then sell or scrap remaining psd truck?? Any thoughts?

The way I see it build up motor with injectors and pump, and run her till she blows. I have Intercooler from psd that I'm can install so will never have to worry about turning the pump up.

Good plan or needs improvement?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Takes a whole lot more to build up a idi. Dollar per hp is higher. And then of you're trying to get a lot of power, it can still be a ticking time bomb. Lol
I'll take electronic sensor problems over hg/cavitation any day. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
power of the PSD will always prevail, its the nature of the beast with the type of injection.

you can built an IDI to the hilt and still be at the same power levels as a stock PSD without a chip.

the simplicity of the IDI will always beat the PSD

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where do you need your power? down low or up high on the RPM's? The power comparison between the two isn't fair if you are looking for real world vs. dyno. My '92 F350 tows anything thrown at it and gets the job done. Got no clue on the dyno numbers but it hauls 10k GVW trailers @ 55-60mph(kali speed limit for trailers is 55) and does it without breaking a sweat on our hills. My F450 IDI's don't even have a turbo and I never really missed it. Even my F450 with PSD (stock tunes) performed the same as any other IDI, but you do have to spin the hell out of the motor.
Bottom line is if you need a vehicle that will have the highest odds of starting and getting your to and from work, the IDI is the one. The added bonus is you can work on it if something happens. The PSD "won't" break easily, but when it does, a towtruck will be needed.
That's why my fleet is still mainly IDI even though I'm in the towing business.