Death Wobble

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently my 1993 f-250 2wd has developed a shake when turning right. I have to stop the truck to get it to stop. Any ideas on some fixes?

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first thing that pops into my mind is wheel barrings... have you checked them for play

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Mine did that if I hit a bump with just the right wheel. The problem is my shocks, and Ibeam pivot bushings are bad, and the left ball joints are toast. The KILLER tho, was my steering box was loose. The play in it was what let the wobble keep going. I tightened that down, and the death shake went away. Still have major problems up there, but it's at least not going to kill me now.

What you're looking for is play in your front end. Check your ibeam pivot bushings, shock and shock bushings, tie rods, steering box, and ball joints. (jack it up, support the frame so the front suspension isn't taking weight, and start wiggling things. Also look for clean patches that could indicate rubbing)

There is a stud with a nut on top of the steering box that you can use to tighten it up. Loosen the nut, and then slowly tighten down the stud. You will need a friend to wiggle the wheel for you as you do this. Tighten the stud by quarter turns, stopping to have your friend gently wiggle the wheel. (you're looking for the steering shaft moving, but not the steering arm moving) Be careful, because you can over tighten this. If that doesn't take out the slop out of the box, your box may be dead.

ne buckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I have been seeing alot of adds for a dodge wooble fix latley, thought maybe they had one for ford

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
The death wobble generally refers to TTB 4wd. It's actually pretty uncommon on the 2wd twin Ibeam. The "Fix" is generally adding a steering damper. That doesn't actually fix the problem, just masks the symptoms. The problem that causes the wobble is often bushing play on the torsion bars. However, any play in your steering can cause it.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Adjusting the steering box is nothing to take lightly. To tight, and you risk breaking the shaft. Loosing the shaft at freeway speed could prove fatal to you, and/or someone nearby.

The procedure is listed here somewhere. Is something like 24 INCH Lbs of force on the input, to get the output to move.