death wobble...how have you fixed it?

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
My wife's Willys has a chev front axle- we had to do a shackle reversal (move the shackles to the rear) to get the caster right. It tracks straight up to 70MPH and no death wobble ever.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steering stabilizer will fix it.

Nope. A steering stabilizer can only fix a back and forth shimmy as it was designed to do.

A death wobble is a up and down movement at the kingpin. But, most people only use the term "death wobble" to mean any unexplained vibration. I've seen a few retards at Pirate call their vibration a death wobble, but it nothing more then an out of balance tire. cookoo

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
it's a full blown whipping of the tires left to right, like i have a death grip on the wheel because it's turning! :puke: guess i'll retorque the busings and see how it is then.... :dunno

thanks so far!

DeadMan

Reaction score
Dont know if this helps,.. I have a early Bronco that had the death shakes. Ended up being the drag link and tie rod had a wild up and down flex. I stitched in a piece of angle iron ( imagine the roofline of a house ). That was eight years ago and still no shakes!

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Dont know if this helps,.. I have a early Bronco that had the death shakes. Ended up being the drag link and tie rod had a wild up and down flex. I stitched in a piece of angle iron ( imagine the roofline of a house ). That was eight years ago and still no shakes!

like the bars were bending??? all my steerng and drag link is 1-1/4 solid or thick walled DOM.

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your tires for tread separation... low speed death wobble is a good indication you have a tire coming apart on you... a VERY bad thing...

I've had it on two trucks .. spent loads getting front ends checked.. etc etc... finally went to a tire shop and problem fixed.... One truck had only 14,000 mi on the tires when it happened...

DeadMan

Reaction score
Because of the span between knuckles, I had a really bad flex in the drag link... But mine is the stock drag link.. I dont think you should have this problem with the DOM. I just didnt realize what you are running .. Sorry

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
in my experience with bias ply tires when they start wearing they wobble. fine when new but i guess as they wear they need rebalanced. i just always sped up or slowed down when they wobbled.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
ok there was more mud than grease in my wheel bearings, LOTS of play there, all new bearings, also i adjusted my springless kingpins, and added a trac bar. the truck handles fantastic, no more marshmallow feel in the turns, and overall better steering. i checked the box and all steering components, all tight other than a little bit of frame flex around the box. (has frame brace from rail to rail) it was good for about 4 days then all of a sudden about 35 mph i hit a bump and it's back. rechecked EVERYTHING! tight and smooth. going to have my friend take it to work and put it on the alignment machine to see how it it looks there.

any other ideas?

Last edited:

DragRag

Reaction score
Nope. A steering stabilizer can only fix a back and forth shimmy as it was designed to do.

A death wobble is a up and down movement at the kingpin. But, most people only use the term "death wobble" to mean any unexplained vibration. I've seen a few retards at Pirate call their vibration a death wobble, but it nothing more then an out of balance tire. cookoo

I guess I am imagining that my death wobble is gone after replacing the bad steering stabilizer on my 90' F350. Mine would start at 45ish with my worn out stabilizer on it, it would do it bad at 35 mph without the stabilizer, and it doesn't do it at all with a new steering stabilizer. Bad tires can cause it to start also. My King Ranch F350 would do it when the tires needed rotating. Rotate and it was gone on that one. Kind of pissed me off, it started doing that **** at only 55k miles!