Deal alert on 3g alternators reman

Brian VT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well mine doesn't spin. It feels like the internal fan is rubbing on the case. I will see what the seller says......
Dang. I didn't even take mine out of the box since installing it is not near the top of my list at this time.
I guess I'd better check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The seller was quick to respond and offered a refund. He also allowed me to get in it to investigate. I found that the rear cooling fan on the armature was hitting the rear case. I took a drift and hit it a couple times through the rear cap and it spins free now. You can see in the picture where the bearing cap is deformed.
Any opinions on whether I should keep or return it? My guess is that it will be find now.

Attachments

• IMG_2984.jpg
    IMG_2984.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 8

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you’ll still get more than $60 worth of service out of it. If the choice is keep it or send it back, get refunded, and buy another at retail price; I’d keep it.

Just out of curiosity, had you mounted the pulley yet? I wonder if tightening the nut on the pulley would have pulled it forward enough.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, as soon as I put the pulley on it froze again. I asked for a refund and he gave me one and told me to keep it. Since my investment was now zero, I dug deeper into it. What I realized is that the armature is simply pressed onto the shaft and moves. I moved it all over trying to find a spot where it didn't rub on either the front or back and was never able to get it right. As soon as the case was tightened it started rubbing. At one point I accidentally left a spacer out and that time it almost worked so I took it apart one last time and realized the spacer was in the wrong place from the factory. There was a snap ring on the shaft that was supposed to hold the spacer and armature in place. The factory had put the spacer on the wrong side of the snap ring and I had continued the same mistake several times. Once I got the snap ring off and the spacer in the right spot it worked great.
I have reached out to the seller to offer to pay his shipping. I feel bad getting it to work now for free.
You can see in this picture where the spacer was supposed to be. It was on the wrong side of the ring and was jamming the armature into the back of the case.

Attachments

• IMG_2986.JPG
    IMG_2986.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2985.JPG
    IMG_2985.JPG
    349.8 KB · Views: 15

sheepman

TDS Refugee
Reaction score
chinese bearings? How do you determine that? Been doing alts for a while, the bearings are the same as US rebuilds and ones I have used to rebuild. I always change out the brush cartridge to Motorcraft NOS on any alt. The back bearing cover is different than I have seen though. Still a great price as Chinese new and rebuilt start over 100
Bearing shield is marked China.
I agree very good price

Attachments

• 1B4EDA46-001F-4C82-A6FE-EFC360B8D63F.jpeg
    1B4EDA46-001F-4C82-A6FE-EFC360B8D63F.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 6