dead in the driveway

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother's 89 7.3 sits dead in my driveway. It was hard starting today, (needed a boost of wd-40 down the intake) but once running ran fine. He came here and shut it off and we've gotten nothing else out of it.
I changed the fuel filter last week and am getting plenty of fuel to the ip, when I crack an injector line at an injector I get no fuel at all.
We tried the cool water on the injection pump and jumped the fuel shutoff solinoid to the battery, but got no change. I am wondering about the fuel inlet screen that I have heard mention of on a couple of other posts. Can anyone point me to it?
Other than that I can only assume broken Ip shaft.
I am also making the assumption that a worn piston in the ip would still deliver some fuel to the injector when it was turning over so that I would see it when I took the line loose from the injector.
Is this correct?
Thanks in advance.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could remove the side cover plate where one goes to turn up the fuel, and use a mirror to look and see if the inards of the IP are turning when you crank it. That would rule out the snapped shaft. That would also introduce a ton of air and make any further tests difficult. A more dramatic measure would be to remove the top cover on the IP. You could verify the pump is turning (there is a hole in the top center of the insides that will give you the same view as through the side cover plate), it would also allow you to rule out the FSV in the top cover, since the engine will run without it. Be advised, if it starts, you will have to use your finger to shut it off, and your going to have fuel running everywhere! Keep your electrical connections away from metal, as a spark at this point would be very bad.

Disclaimer: By trying that last method I mentioned, you agree that myself, OB, and everyone else here is not liable for anything that would enter you into the running for a darwin award.

If it does start and run right away, you'll have to top cover off to do some electrical tests on the FSV, as that would be the most likely candidate.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few references to a fuel inlet screen. Is that between the filter and the ip, or on the Ip itself? We thought about a snapped shaft, but we eventually got it running yesterday so don't think thats a possibility.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a few references to a fuel inlet screen. Is that between the filter and the ip, or on the Ip itself? We thought about a snapped shaft, but we eventually got it running yesterday so don't think thats a possibility.
If you have an inlet screen clogged to the point that it's not running, you have a big problem on your hands. those screens are not of fine mesh and only block off big chunks of debris. If you do really want to find it, it's on the center of the IP inlet fitting inside the IP.
It's possible you may have a snapped shaft. crack open all the lines at the injectors and crank. before you do that though, make sure you hear clicking noises coming from the shutoff solenoid first.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
When cleaning the inlet screen the pin that lines things up in the front doesn't control any other shaft movements does it?

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be big slimey chunks. He has been running WVO and had a "precipitate" reaction with some ULSD. We replaced his filter last week and it was full of goo. Iam hoping that a big chunk got past the filter when we changed it and is now stuck to the screen. Of course the same chunk could have gotten into the ip and caused the shaft to break:dunno
solinoid is definitely clicking.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When cleaning the inlet screen the pin that lines things up in the front doesn't control any other shaft movements does it?

That pin can be very difficult to line up if the parts separate. Doing it on the truck is a real pain, and you can cut the nose cone seal if your not carefull on reassembly. With the pump off the truck it is much MUCH easier.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be done. I had to do it at the IDI Weekend in Indiana. Here is how to do it in the truck in such a way that it doesn't fall apart on you. Take the input fuel line off, and unscrew the brass adapter. Take the nosecone retaining screw and paw off. Begin to unscrew the nosecone. Take an object such as an allen wrench that will fit through the opening in the nosecone, and press inward to retain the parts that will be released by removal of the nosecone. Hopefully when the nosecone comes loose, you will be able to slide it up the lenght of your allen wrench until the parts are exposed and you can hold them directly. The inlet screen is obvious and will come right off. Try to hold all the parts in place until you can reassemble.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how one item of omission can change a diagnosis.
You figured out your problem already. Feul system contambination.
before getting nuts with the inlet screen, pull the top cover and check for solids in the feul well. If there is, your pump is done. Improper mix and/or improper purge and shutdown procedures of other feuls with diesel is the biggest killer of IP's.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
here are some pictures.

Attachments

• pics 018.jpg
    pics 018.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 37
  • pics 020.jpg
    pics 020.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 38
  • pics 021.jpg
    pics 021.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 39
  • pics 022.jpg
    pics 022.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 30
  • pics 023.jpg
    pics 023.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 31
  • pics 024.jpg
    pics 024.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 43
  • pics 025.jpg
    pics 025.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 32
  • pics 026.jpg
    pics 026.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 39

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have the top lines off and are almost to the nosecone. I still have my fingers crossed that the shaft is ok as it never quit catastrophically, just wouldn't start again. We will see soon.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awsome pics. Thats exactly what it looks like, except the inlet screen is completely clogged. My brother is cleaning it now. I havn't looked yet, but I assume that there is only one spot for the pin to go in when we reassemble.
Are there any other tricks I should know?
Thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, only one spot. Sounds like you let it fall out. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin