Dead C6 help

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been lurking and reading for abit(very imformative site) and finally got my truck,it's a 86 F250 4WD X-cab 6.9/auto with the older banks turbo.

When I bought it I checked the fluids and they all looked good..trans was over full.I drove it for about 100 miles kept an eye on the fluids,the trans didnt seem to be foaming and I was going to do a full service on everything anyway so I didnt worry about it.

Well the other morning I fired it up and moved it back away from my shop and let it warmup.I jump in and go to hook on my trailer....no drive...no reverse.It goes into park and neutral,but no drive gears.

Got it in the shop last night and dropped the pan.It's clean inside no metal frags.All linkage is working,so I did the filter and fluid and still nothing.I pulled the inspection cover and the T/C is spinning.I then cracked the cooler line and no fluid is pumping.

I've never been inside a C6 is there a bypass of somesort that may be jammed? Like I said the trans looks good inside.I'm thinking the pump took a crap,but hope not.If the trans has to come out I'm goin to do a manual.

TIA for any help,

Stu

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
With fuel prices the way they are, a manual conversion would probably be well worth it. With only three foward gears and no T/C lock up you'll be getting worse mileage than you need to. Sounds like pump is bad to me though if you have no fluid movement. I've never been inside one though so I really can't give any useful advice.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be something in the valve body that is sticking. If it sat for a while, maybe that is the problem. Not sure how to cure it other than pulling the valve body and disassembling, cleaning and reassembling. Fortunately, all that can be done by removing the pan and working underneath. You'll need a service manual of some sort to help you find the right bolts to remove to pull it. I've only done it once with an experienced mentor guiding me, so I'm unable to be of greater help.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I should pull my VB but it started snowing again, driving around in reverse only sucks :D

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
C-6 is a peice of cake. I have them in all my trucks. Around here a diesel c-6 is hard to find because everyone yanks out the E4OD's and puts a c-6 in it's place. There are several things that can be wrong like a broken spring on the converter releif valve that will dump all your PSI right to the pan.

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
C-6 is a peice of cake. I have them in all my trucks. Around here a diesel c-6 is hard to find because everyone yanks out the E4OD's and puts a c-6 in it's place. There are several things that can be wrong like a broken spring on the converter releif valve that will dump all your PSI right to the pan.

that's about the only thing shy of a complete blow-up that really ever happens to a Charlie-Sixer..

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help,as far as a manual goes I already have a buddy at a junkyard searching for one.

I have a service manual that has every auto trans till 81 in it.I've been inside th400's and 727's so a C6 should'nt be too diffrent.I'll pull the VB and check it out.

Stu

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and dont use a gas vb--they are different----

Hmm not too sure whats diffrent,the check balls and valves are the same by looking at my service manual.

Checked out the VB everything looked fine.Nothing looked to be sticking and there was no crud in it anywhere.

Pretty sure it's the pump.After checking the VB I put the pan back on and fired it without filling the pan.Would'nt the pump draw fluid from the TC and put at least some in the pan? There was none after I fired it and nothing pumped from the cooler line.

Stu

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
The body is the same. It is the size of some of the valves and the tension of the springs and number of springs. A gas VB can be converted to diesel but you need a SK-6 hit to do it. But you can't just swap one in.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just dont think a trans pump would just go out at a toss of a hat, maybe get weaker in time. when was the last time the intermediate band was adjusted? i rebuilt the trans in my truck when i bought it and theres nothing to them. let me ask something when you put it in gear and try to go back to park does it growl before it goes back into park, like you have to let the rpms drop before it will go into park?

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The body is the same. It is the size of some of the valves and the tension of the springs and number of springs. A gas VB can be converted to diesel but you need a SK-6 hit to do it. But you can't just swap one in.
rkoch what is a sk-6 ?:dunno

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just dont think a trans pump would just go out at a toss of a hat, maybe get weaker in time. when was the last time the intermediate band was adjusted? i rebuilt the trans in my truck when i bought it and theres nothing to them. let me ask something when you put it in gear and try to go back to park does it growl before it goes back into park, like you have to let the rpms drop before it will go into park?

No theres just nothing.Yes it has me baffled,I've never seen a trans go like this there is always some indication.

Stu

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either way the trans has to come out so I'll just do a new pump and TC.Any ideas for a good stall speed?

Stu

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7