Dead 7.3, where to start?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some advice on where to start, I scored a 95 PSD F250 off of a buddy of mine for free, as it's pretty rusty, high miles, and it died on him, but it has a pile of new parts in it, including a very low mile DMF conversion.
He's a Cat mechanic, so, he spent a bit of time on it, and is familiar with HUEI systems. It isn't fueling on cranking, so he of course swapped the CPS for a known good one, to no avail, tried swapping the IDM, again, no go. All fuses are good etc, fuel heater is long dead.
He finally determined that he is getting little or no oil pressure from the HPOP.
Where should I start on diagnosing this, ICP?
The truck is free, and comes with a complete spare engine, so I have alot of known good parts to work with.
I haven't ran into this on a stroker before, and, I sold my good scan tool when I sold my 00, so, I'm really kicking my butt right about now.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is the tach reading when cranking it over?does it have oilpressure on the dash gauge while cranking,does it start with ether?check the wiring under the valve covers.is there fuel in the filter?what color is the fuel in the filter bowl?you said the fuel heater is dead.is it disconnected?you said the fuses are all good,including the under hood fuses?

only problem with a psd is you NEED a good scanner to work on them.im kicking myself as well for selling my scanner.:backoff

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the ICP sensor was junk it would still run.pop the cheesey cover off the top and open up the wiring harness that goes to the fuel filter and HPOP.check the plug on the IPR.after years of fuel getting spilt on this harness from changing the filter the wiring to ipr and filter gets eaten by the fuel and shorts the wiring out.

91fummins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have no pressure from the HPOP it wont run. I hate to say it but I think thats where I would start.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
If the orings fail on the IPR you will not get any pressure out of the pump. Since you have spares, swap out the IPR solenoid that is kinda on the lower corner of the HPOP. Might just fix it that way~
Ken

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tach is reading, ALL of the fuses are good. The fuel heater is disconnected and removed.
It will fire on ether, but it is definitely not delivering fuel.
I've been through most of the fuel/electrical no start issues with these things, having owned one and currently maintaining 5 of them., just have never ran into problems on the high pressure oil side..
I haven't had my fingers into this one myself yet, probably will be the weekend before I can get my hands on it.
Only thing that's a pain when it comes to swapping parts is the parts engine is in an E-350... lol

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only thing that's a pain when it comes to swapping parts is the parts engine is in an E-350... lol

what year is your parts motor?it has to be a 94.5-95 in order for the IPR to be used in this truck.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
94.5-95 have a check valve in the ipr to keep the oil from draing out of the HPOP and resevoir.96-up have the check valve in the timing cover.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if the ipr orings are leaking it would still atleast offer to start or run cold with the thick oil.or fire off a couple cylinders warm

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll get a chance to look at it here before the weekend, what I do know is it drove to where it's parked, Bill shut it down, and it has never started again.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, finally got my fingers into it...
All under hood fuses are good, CPS is brand new and working, we have indicated rpm while cranking.
The HPOP is definitely moving oil, IPR o-rings look good. I was going to swap it with the one from the van, but, it was getting dark and I couldn't see it let alone attempt to remove it. I'm going to rig up a pressure guage here before I go back too.
No codes stored other than some transmission related ones(truck has been converted to stick) and ICP circuit low, but, I did unplug it and try cranking without it.
It isn't giving a WTS light/cycling the glows however, and it has always been goofy about it. I remember last summer it sometimes would take 30 seconds of key on before it'd turn on the glows, other times it would work as intended. It's been like that since Bill has had the truck, which is 4+ years, so, he has a manual override wired in also.

The last time it ran it ran fine, Bill let it sit for about a week and went to fire it up to move it, was about -20, truck was plugged in, it coughed a bit and attempted to run on the first try, and has never fired the injectors since. No smoke whatsoever, nothing. It is definitley not fuelling. We tried swapping IDM's to no avail.
The HPOP was a little on the low side, so I topped it off, but that made no difference.
It will fire and run on starting fluid, so, internally everything is fine.

On another note, the truck is an hour and a half away, first road trip for my IDI in nearly 4 years.... LOL

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
ICP circuit low sounds to me like the IPR is not allowing oil to fire the injectors. Another thing is even though O-rings look good they can still be bad