Dash swap?

firegod33

Reaction score
I'm going to be swapping a '95 7.3 Powerstroke in place of the 6.9 IDI, in my '86 CC F350, soon. The wiring in the truck is trashed, so I'm thinking I'm just going to swap the entire wiring harness from the organ donor into the '86. Has anyone tried to swap the dash from a '92-'97 into the '80-'86 cab? Should I expect it to be more trouble than it's worth or is it fairly straight forward?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will have to swap the entire wiring harness and electronics to install a PSD because of the computer control, no way around it. Work smarter not harder, if your current harness is'nt good as you state you would seriously kick yourself if you had electrical problems with a Powerstroke because you were hacking up an already hacked harness.

I beleive you will also want to swap the door panels too so they match up with the lines on newer dash too.

Somebody here has done has done the IDI to PSD swap and I forget who right now. Hopefully they will chime in.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the dash's will swap , but a few brackets need to bee modified
swap all of the wiring, headlights to taile lights and you will be fine

firegod33

Reaction score
My plan was to use the entire harness from the organ donor, headlights to taillights. I'll have to extend the harness a little since the donor is an extended cab and mine is a crew cab. So far, it looks like it's game on for the dash swap.
Thanks!

firegod33

Reaction score
How about pictures during? I have a bud who is a professional heavy equipment/truck mechanic. He says it should take about three weekends to complete the swap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online