Dash Lights

89ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever changed the color of the backlights for the gauges? I like the black backdrop but was thinking maybe in blue instead of green? Anyone done anything like this?cookoo

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
ive tried using bulb covers or a marksalot marker and coloring the bulbs but i never was happy with the results. never got bright enough for me. i like a really bright gauge panel.

you could always get the direct replacement swap LED bulbs in a different color. would be bright too

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
mine uses a 194 for the cluster.....

Ona related note, is there a way to remove the green filter from the cluster? I'd prefer the white light cause its hard to read at night...

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only speak for my 1985, but the factory illumination of the instrument-panel is much too dark, even with brand-new clear 194 bulbs.

For years, I had to shine a flash-light to see how much fuel I had.

I installed a couple of those 3-on-a-bar blue LED spot-lights like one sees in Walmart and such places; and, now I can see the gauges really well.

The plastic base that these little spot-lights are attached to has peel-n-stick backing.

I just stuck one on each side of the column to that flat platform immediately underneath the gauges.

These come with a lighter-plug attached that also contains the brains of the LED system, so DON'T cut off the plug.

What I did instead was to mount a hidden double-plug-outlet that powers up when the dash-lights come ON.

The only color I have ever seen these come in is blue.

No longer do I have to use a flash-light to read the gauges. ;Sweet

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add that the little blue spotlights are infinitely and independently aim-able, as in you can point them every-which-way. :thumbsup:

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Go to superbrightleds.com get the wled5 in blue, the needle will be bright blue and the numbering will be greenish blue, the only gripe that I have with it is that greenish blue is the brightest color to the human eye. Sycostang and I have both done this.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31805156&l=b16e1f1cec&id=1294764449
Crap pic, but you get the point.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36737&highlight=superbrightleds.com
Thread where I saw Scyostangs setup, I know that they're brighter in real life (at least in my truck).

Last edited:

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Seek bright LEDs you do? This was my mod, still green, but super bright. I'd imagine with differen't color leds it would have done something different. These were 3 watt leds I installed. Wasn't exactly plug and play...

I know on the 92s and up there isn't really any way to change the green color as it's in the plastic.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance