dang... exhaust woofing

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
like I don't have enough problems :)

anyway, aside from popping off the valve covers and trying to find which cylinder is the problem, checking pushrods, etc any other thoughts on what to look for?

thanks
Drew

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ohh forgot to mention.
Engine shakes REALLY bad until maybe 2500rpms

engine puffs a lotta white on start up... more than normal

engine oil looks like it has some sparklies on it too :-O
oil is only 200miles old btw.

this figures, I finally got the truck running perfectly

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the oil fill while it's running to watch the blowby. If it's puffing in tune to the cylinder, then you've likely got a cracked/split piston or head. Occasionally a cracked head gasket can let coolant into a cylinder, and it'll make white smoke, but it'll also smell sweet like at the exhaust, and your coolant will be dropping.

Doesn't sound too good though...

Zigg -cuss

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would loosen the injectors one at a time to see which cylinder causes the "woof" your idea about checking the valves is a good idea.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
no, its not the injectors.... they are new and smooth, same with the pump.
I'll crack the lines anyhow to get it pinpointed.

zigg, zero lost coolant, no water in oil, no oil in water, etc etc.
blowby is to the tune of a quart every 35miles or so. been like that since I've owned it tho.
Trick is, until this past thursday on a 200mile trip it ran awesome. Started stuttering a lil on the way home, but slight.

the rough missing is almost violent when cold... when warmed up it isn't near as bad.

with valve covers off, and engine running there is nothing obviously amiss.

and I know I know, I need to totally re-build or buy a rebuilt, but.... have you ever been at a situation in life where you need just another 6months?

welp, back to messing with it.
Dp

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At a quart every 35 miles it is pretty much smooth worn out as I see it, but they can still run well this way. Have you given any thought to the possibility that the lifters may be to blame? They usually are for the dog in the intake number. I wasn't suggesting injectors, but loosening the lines often helps to pinpointa dead or weak cylinder as less or no RPM drop will be associated with eliminating fuel to the cylinder or if it is making a bad noise, often if you quit letting it fire the bad noise will go away.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he left a zero off there. :eek: Heck, around here you'd have to do an oil change on your way to get milk.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
no mel... 35miles is correct.
thats why I run a 'EGR'
Exhaust gas regurgitation valve. collect it in a bucket, filter and dump back in the crankcase...

ended up being the timing checker thing on the #1, the thread on the inside has a drip. fixed/sealed now, not perfect... weird I never woulda figured *shrugs* I would have found it sooner but I'd hit the li primer to see if I could burb some air outta the filter and it made the #1 wet....

strange to loose this much oil (not a drop leaked or burned) and have the truck this powerful and smooth again. leaves one to ponder.

the ole blue b*tch rides again.... off to work :p

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That truck needs an I.V. Just mount a 10 gallon air tank on the headache rack, fill it with motor oil, and run a hose to the oil fill. LOL

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
seriously....
maybe someone forgot to put on those pesky piston rings....
crazy thing is it starts on the first revolution of the crank, no matter how cold

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might wanna have a look in the intake. That there turbo might be leakin' a bit of oil, and these engines are quite happy to burn whatever you put down their throat!!

Mine drinks, drips and burns lotsa oil. But, oil is still a lot cheaper than a rebuild, so I just buy it in the 5 gal pails from wally world.:eek:

Zigg :)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
like I said:
strange to loose this much oil (not a drop leaked or burned)

this is why I went rdt, thas alotta oil. Plus if someone asked what milage I got, I could tell them 15mpg diesel 110mpg motor oil.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thing is you can have a lot of oil come past the piston rings without seeing any blue smoke. You can also have worn rings, slightly out of round pistons, and slap without having any major effect on compression. On TDS, there was aguy who had an 84 that burned a ton of oil, he did a compression check and he found that all of the pistons were in the 350-440 range. My feeling from reading a lot of these posts is that compression and fuel delivery control easy starting and the oil control ring really controls oil consumption.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online