Dana 60 wearing outside of tires

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the answer would be no.
So if you had it set at 1/8 toe in with say a 31" inch tire, then went to a 35", and only measured the front. Yes, your measurement would be shorter, but once you measure the rear, it'll still only be 1/8 more than the front.
I'm sure there's a formula. Maybe could use the Pythagorean theorem. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I disagree. Imagine the tires were so large, say several 100 feet in diameter, that with a 1/2 degree toe the front of the tires would actually touch wouldn't they? And the back would be several 100 feet apart?

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Toe can only be defined as an angle. In practical application it might be ok to say "1/8" or "1/4" front to rear, but that does not mean anything without knowing how far apart the front and rear measurements are made.

franklin2 is correct that extreme size tires would intersect. This is why I like to use the laser pointer - shooting a longer distance gives you much better accuracy.

Pythagorean theorem works, or if you are lazy like me you use AutoCad.

Here are some rough dimensions for a 0.5 degree toe (0.25 degrees each side) for some distances. For practical purposes I only show to 1/32" (rear measurement - front measurement).

Stock 31" = 1/4"
33" = 5/16"
35" = 5/16"
42" = 3/8"

Now for using a laser pointer with targets 10' away (front and rear) this difference measurement increases to just over 2 inches.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I reckon that would make sense. Wasn't making a lot of sense in my head. Lol
Since most are running between 31-35" tire, that 1/8 probably gets you close enough.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk