Dana 60 debate

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have been planning on changing the axle in my van from 4:10 to 3:55 to get some mpg improvement etc.. I planned to change the gears myself and figured it would run about $300 or so if everything went ok. (there is nothing wrong with the rear end now)
However I just found on Ebay a local place that has some NOS brand new 3.55 axles for 98-99 E350s for about $700 (with brakes and all) and I am thinking that this might work out great for me!
So I am wondering if there will be any fit problems with the newer axles on my '89 van, and also about how much I could sell my old axle for?
Any thoughts?
Jay

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Take a tape mesure & mesure out the distance of your spring perches. Then go find a 99 van & mesure that as well. If they are the same distance apart then it should bolt right on. If not you'll have to do some fabbing on the axle. Might check the brakes too, I think the 99 E350 had disk brakes. If it does you would be better off with that.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are drums with ABS, I wouldn't mind discs, but not sure I really need them. Luckily they are nearby so I can drive my van down and measure them up.
Would there be any problem with the driveshaft?
Jay

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Might want to run a part # & see if they use the same U-Joints. If they do then that's one less problem. If not, you might also have to look at a new drive shaft. Might be a race shop around your area that could help you out with that part.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you might have some balance problems with braking if you just put disks in there. the master cylinder and proportioning valve are set up for drum.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've often thought swapping in new axles from a PSD would be the way to get another 20 years out of the Moose Truck easy enough, if Dana parts ever become hard to get. I don't do it though, cause I don't want to give up my wheels. Getting the correct purches and yokes set up would be easy enough if you have access to the right shop. Pretty much wouldn't matter what axle you decided on if you have the capability to fabricate.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I forgot to say that the current axle is Dana 60 and the new ones are also, I kind of figure if the spring perches match and the u joints match, I am good to go.
How do the prices sound? $700 seems pretty good for a new complete axle, and if I can get a few hundred for my old one I will be happy all around. What do you think?
Also, any thoughts on changing the speedo connection to match the gear change? I haven't looked into that yet, but it can't be too bad
Jay

haywire

Reaction score
Might want to run a part # & see if they use the same U-Joints. If they do then that's one less problem. If not, you might also have to look at a new drive shaft. Might be a race shop around your area that could help you out with that part.

if the u-joints are different you can proboably get a conversion joint or swap the yokes. been thinkin' bout goin' to 3.55's in my 76 too.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I don't do it though, cause I don't want to give up my wheels.
Are you sure those won't interchange? Are you talking about a 10.25 or the 10.5 rear end? My buddy pulled some wheels off of a 78 F250 that had Dana 60s & put em on a 96 F350 4x4 Diesel without a problem. On the Sterling 10.25 it should work, I know the 10.5 won't.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
IIRC the superduty's where when they changed the wheel pattern to a metric 8 lug. the vans didnt chage though they stayed the standard 8 lug for a while at least.

700 sounds a bit steep to me but i am sure it can vary from area to area. it wouldent pay to have a couple hundred dollar cheeper axle shipped. your old axle around here would probubly get you into the 1-200 range.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I have to agree because front Ford Dana 60s are $900-$1200 all day long around here & are usually covered in rust. The rear usually is about half of that.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I guess if I could get $300 for my 4.10 rear end, which is pretty clean and rust free, I would go ahead with the deal. I priced having the gears put in, and it was around $600. As I said, I can probably do it myself for $300 or so, maybe a little less.. without changing bearings etc. But these are supposed to be brand new axles, brakes and all, which is better that I would have either other way.
Jay

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online