Dana 50 work.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
I know that something is messed up in my Dana 50 ttb as my front drive shaft will turn allmost a quarter of the way before it grabs. The four whelp drive still engages and works but I know it's only a matter of time before it goes out. My question is what is the easiest way to disassemble this axle to have a good look? Should inpull the axle from the truck and disassemble or just pull the left side off and proceed from there? I am in the process of replacing both spindles and thought about just digging in to the front end.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
I'm not sure. I dont think it's as much as the front. The front just seems really loose to me. But when I grabbed the Axle shaft it didn't seem as loose and didnt clunk lime it did when I moved the driveshaft.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just turning your driveshaft is not the best way to ck it to see if it is "ok". by just turning your driveshaft you are not only moving the backlash of the ring and pinion, you are also moving your spider gears, diff bearings, axle shafts, axle shaft bearings, and hubs. all those parts together can make it seem like there is a lot of play in the diff, when in real life, its just showing there is a little wear on some parts and that they are still ok. if you put it in 4wd and drive it and hear some whining, clicking, roaring, then the noise goes away in 2wd, then you have a problem, if not, your good to go.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Having yanked a TTB pot before, I suggest pulling the beam that the pot is bolted to. That way you get a good seal when reinstalling the pot AND you don't break an arm trying to hold it in place.

But as mentioned before, things sounds about normal for having that many miles on it.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
I figures the best way was to pull whole arm out and then the center section. I know four wheel works good I just used it the other day. I have been doing some pretty serious wheeling. But everything was working good til the inner bearing went out and warped the spindle.

86ford69

86 Ford F250 6.9
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This is the big hole we can get it but can't get out of. Four low second gear foot to the floor! But the axle won't clear the lip. I can drive back and forth in in it all day just can't yet out without help.