dana 44 axle seals replacement

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
This a first for me being on this part of the site. I am working on a friends '95 2500, 4x4, 360, pickup with a dana 44 [smaller housing I believe]. Never did axle seals that were in at the pumpkin, all the ones I've replaced were on the outside of the axle tubes. Looks to me as though I have to remove the whole carier assy. to get to them? Can anyone recomend the best way of going about getting the old seals out and the new ones in?

Thanks for any help you can give! ~Aaron

averagef250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dodge or what?

If dodge, it should have the junker CAD low pinion 60. Odds are very high you will not succeed in replacing the CAD side tube seal unless you have a tool to do it. When these first came out a friend of mine destroyed lots of them just trying to do one job. He made up a real nice installation tool to fixture the new seal and pull it in squarely and it made him a bit of money being one of the only guys around that can do it (at that time atleast). I would suggest taking it to someone who has the tool or making a tool to do it if you have the ability, though it isn't as simple as you'd think. The seal is rather flimsy and must be very well supported to get it to press in without distorting.

dennis

Reaction score
Yeah they are a sob. I have put a couple of them in and screwed up more. the trick is you have to press sideways. I did it wood and crowbars to start it. once it is partially installed I tapped the seal in from the tube on the other side of the axle. lots of coordination. one guy taps and the other guy moves the rod around and taps it in till bottomed . I wish I had a tool?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online