Damn! New Glows, no crank????

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced my glows with ZD-9's - old gp's were Behru's -thank god . . . . one tiny broken tip and the rest were all fine and came out well. This van was last started in October - batteries have plenty of charge, red cables on positive, black cables on negative. I noticed that the gp controller is smoking and alot of heat coming off it . . . is this normal? Oh, trans craped out too months ago but this should not affect starting even though batteries have been out of van for some time - this is a '94 7.3 e350 van. Starter is new btw - click is coming off gp controller and a little smoke - could it just be a case of corroded terminals at controller? Help! Thanks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Let me ask about the plugs that came out. How was the engine starting. Why did you feel the plugs needed replacement. If they had not worked for some long time maybe there is oil on the controller and thats why it smokes. It really sounds like the controller is doing its job and sending the heat to the plugs. Reason for a no start is probably no fuel in the injection pump because its drained out from an air leak.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck sat for months with batteries removed, gp's were unknown age so I decided to start off fresh with the right gp's. Batteries both measure 12.70. Trans died but I was still able to start -did removing the batteries trigger something? Is there a sensor that detects a dry ip? Weird issue - starter is new btw - fuse perhaps?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You surely didn't hook up the batteries backwards. Remove the GP controller and see if you can see if it's burnt on one of the corners on the underside, if so, it's *****. It should'nt get hot enough to smoke. Could it be just the relay smoking? They will get hot and smoke if the contacts are burnt.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We do not have any low fuel sensers in the fuel system except the senders in the tanks... You may have missed a wire when you worked on the glow plug system... check it again..

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm . . . would a disconnected gp wire cause a no start situation? Interesting and good to know, will double check - the insulators, about six of them are just about toast(crumbling) and am thinking that I will remove them and slide short pieces of silicon fuel line of the right diameter over the connecters as a fix -

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, I"ve read this a few times and I"m unclear on something....

Is the engine turning over? You say no crank....not no start. There is a difference.

Please take a moment and be clear for those of us not up to par on the smarts thing... ;) I cannot decipher crank/start as I'm not the Amazing Kreskin!

If it's a no crank that is one thing and we need to address things in a logical order.

If it's a no start, that is something entirely different and again, we need to address things in a logical order.

As for SMOKE off GP relay, disconnect it from the system. We can't address everything at once. We need very specific information to respond with correct answers.

Just my thoughts...

Al

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Al! To be more specific, zero crank, glow indicator comes on and turns off after cycling, batteries have full charge and have been load tested. Beginning to think that perhaps starter ground and or battery connections may be corroded due to sitting - starter is about a year old.

First off, I"ve read this a few times and I"m unclear on something....

Is the engine turning over? You say no crank....not no start. There is a difference.

Please take a moment and be clear for those of us not up to par on the smarts thing... ;) I cannot decipher crank/start as I'm not the Amazing Kreskin!

If it's a no crank that is one thing and we need to address things in a logical order.

If it's a no start, that is something entirely different and again, we need to address things in a logical order.

As for SMOKE off GP relay, disconnect it from the system. We can't address everything at once. We need very specific information to respond with correct answers.

Just my thoughts...

Al

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you tried putting the trans in neutral, could be a bad gear select sensor.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So the engine wont crank.. Ok now find the solenoid and remove the push pull small wire. Then jumper that connecter to the other side of the solenoid. I can't tell you which side to use because I can't see yours. When you find the hot side the engine will crank. The key does not have to be switched on. All your doing it testing the circut to see if the enfine will in fact crank by jumpering it. Then start finding out the whys that keeps it from cranking by the ignition switch..

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That's why it won't crank. I can't, but someone here can probably tell you what wires to jump on the trans plug.
Or jump it at the fender.

Simple stuff like that is real easy to miss, and will really stump a person.

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Success! Cleaned up all contacts at the solenoid . . . light corrosion, nothing horrible but enough. With those new gps the van fired fast! Still have some white smoke and no doubt its time to clean up air leaks and do a baby moose and delphi bb code injectors . . . . . when i do this work, I am going to go back to the gp harness with the injector lines out and pull crumbly gp plug insulators and slip silicone line over female butt connectors to clean up. New reman trans from Ford next! Thank you everyone for the help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle