damn alternator belt

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
i don't know why it has started doing it, but my truck just ate 2 alternator belts in one week. they were both good new belts from napa too -cuss. the second time it got under the power steering belt and made it jump off. nothing like losing vacuum and power steering in traffic-cuss-cuss

would running a shorter belt that goes around the water pump pulley instead of both pulleys help prevent this?

also, what about switching over to serpentine belt? i tried searching around for conversion kits but all i find are blingy billet $$$ stuff. what would i need to look for at the salvage to scrape together a good setup?

thanks!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
there is a thread somewhere in here where you can add a pulley to help guide the alt belt to keep it from jumping.

a serp belt upgrade is a worthy upgrade in my opinion. i would pull everything to upgrade while you are at it. it is two large aluminum pieces that everything bolts to that you really need though. i dont know of an eftermarket set up but the stock setups can be found in a yard or they pop up forsale here time to time.

edit: found the thread
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30115&highlight=alternator+pulley

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
according to that thread, it sounds like my wp pulley got bent. damn!

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a gates hd(green) belt and that extra pulley on the water pump and have had no more problems.

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Adam g said. I know I was throwing and breaking belts for awhile then I switched to the green striped ones and never looked back. I can't remember now who makes em...just that they have a green stripe...got em at Advance. Haven't broken one yet.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I'm curious-Did you say "run a shorter belt?". I have always run Crankshaft -water pump-altinator off 1 belt.Does yours run different? 1 belt for Crankshaft water pump power steering & 1 belt for crankshaft waterpump-airconditioner -1 small belt for the vacume pump running off the altinator. I believe some of us run the altinator belt too tight thinking it will stop the vibration I adjust it like any other belt maybe a tad tighter then normal but not much. Also 1 night in Ohio I broke an altinator belt and it got under another belt and bent the waterpump pully I gave the BFH treatment and it has been fine for several years.I agree the design is poor & the belt doesn't last as long as it should-but on the otherhand it doesn't do that bad.

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
yes, shorter being just going around the water pump and alternator instead of crank-waterpump-alternator. the thought behind it is that there is less slack over the shorter distance, so less jump.
looks like i'm going to see if the advance over here has these green wonder belts. i swear those guys that work there start typing in 89 f350 7.3l as i walk in the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online

No members online now.