Dammit Need A Radiator!

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know your pinch (just replaced mine), but the spectra tanks are plastic, couldn't pay me to put a plastic tank on these engines. At least the Spectra at Napa and Oreilly were plastic, turns out it was the same item with different branding. It might hurt, alot, but I'd recommend getting something from Mel, Champion Radiator (though I had a bad experience), or from a local shop that can source an all metal one. I ended up paying extra to get one that is all copper and brass, no plastic or aluminum, was $500. Of course the dealer has that too, at double the price. :( :)

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 81166 p/n is the one for the non-diesel core support.
I was wondering why the pic looked so different...thought maybe it was just stretched.
However below it does specify it is for my year make model and engine?
"This product is a fit for your:
1988 Ford Truck F250 3/4 ton P/U 4WD 7.3L Diesel 8cyl
Part Number: B1166
Alternate Part Number: CU1166"

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why the pic looked so different...thought maybe it was just stretched.
However below it does specify it is for my year make model and engine?
"This product is a fit for your:
1988 Ford Truck F250 3/4 ton P/U 4WD 7.3L Diesel 8cyl
Part Number: B1166
Alternate Part Number: CU1166"
only if you have the proper radiator support.
the monkeys who programed the software for the parts lookup had no clue of the difference of the two.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
Another Champion happy owner here, don't forget your old copper one is worth $75 at a scrapyard. Made the replacement much easier on my wallet.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Just FYI that Champion makes a 4-row version now. Part number is MC1165. For the couple extra bucks, I'd go for it. Heck, I'm half thinking of pulling my current 3-row Champion and installing the 4-row just cuz.

Mike

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the champion info and link...also knowing my old brass-copper is worth a few bucks at the scrap yard!
Not working for 6 years (health issues) plus house insurance and the school bill sitting on the table makes for bad timing for a weepy radiator replacement.

BTW...sent a question to Advance Auto customer service about this rads construction... http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...searchTerm=432194&zoneAssigned=1&prefZC=19036
*the reply I got.
"Steve from AAP said: Hi Ray, I'm happy to help you! This CARQUEST or ToughOne Radiator (Part No. 432194) is constructed with Copper/Brass."

BTW, 15 months ago I also replaced the OE rad in my 81 Vette...so far the plastic aluminum is keeping the engine cooler than it ever was and holding up. I still have the Vett's brass-copper so I'll take both to the scrap yard for the much needed $$$

Thanks again fellas!

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has everyone forgotten how to repair radiators?
Sounds like that one would be a fairly easy fix.
And I would put your vette radiator on ebay or CL,
whether you fix it or not.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has everyone forgotten how to repair radiators?
Sounds like that one would be a fairly easy fix.
And I would put your vette radiator on ebay or CL,
whether you fix it or not.
Well, with my Vette many-many years ago it did develop a leak at the top hose connection into the tank. I pulled it, cleaned the area and braised in some solder with a torch...it held for a very long time but then developed a leak between the the two cores...how does one fix that?

With my truck rad it appears to be also leaking at a place where I can't access it...beats me how to fix it but the leak mysteriously stopped, but keeping an eye on it. The aluminum Champion will be it's replacement.

The Vette rad has a lot of scale build up, you think someone on eBay would pay more for the rad + shipping vs what the scrap yard would pay?
Local mom & pop rad shop wants $600 to rebuild the original truck brass-copper rad > > > I don't have that kind of $$$ to put into that rad plus the rebuild warranty is only 30 days!