Custom Turbo System

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about make a custom turbo system, using the hypermax system without there turbo to cut down the cost, and maybe use somthing like a powerstroke turbo or somthing similar the hypermax one. Im not sure yet about if im going to use an intercooler or water injection. I plain on putting propane on my truck soon, it doesnt have a turbo on it now, but could i still use propane with either intercooling or water/**** injection? Any suggestion about the turbo system will help.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
just fyi hypermax up pipes and turbo mount are perticular to hypermax turbos.
the other turbo set ups i've seen would have to have a lot of mods done to work with them. don't know much about water/**** or propane set ups, never delt with them
chris

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i talk to a guy at hypermax he said the turbo is a standard T4/T3 Flange mount

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
i'm not very filmilar with the terms. don't know what t3/4 means. the turbos i've seen have about 3" pipe to them here's a pic of the collecter and turbo from hypermax. if thats a t3/4 then ok, i've never seen an turbo from a powerstroke. if its the same flange than i appoligze for the miss info.
chris

Attachments

• MVC-549S.JPG
    MVC-549S.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 4
  • MVC-553S.JPG
    MVC-553S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 6

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A T3/T4 turbo is a T3 compressor & a T4 turbine side, the compressor side is small and can replaced with a bigger compressor wheel and housing with a T4 for more boost.

Jim

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I was thinking about make a custom turbo system, using the hypermax system without there turbo to cut down the cost, and maybe use somthing like a powerstroke turbo or somthing similar the hypermax one. Im not sure yet about if im going to use an intercooler or water injection. I plain on putting propane on my truck soon, it doesnt have a turbo on it now, but could i still use propane with either intercooling or water/**** injection? Any suggestion about the turbo system will help.

First of all ---
WELCOME TO THE GROUP!!!!

Next- There A LOT MORE to installing a turbo than just bolting it up. The turbo must be the correct size for the engine, and the engine RPM range. Too big, or too small and the turbo won't work as well as it could. It could even be detrienmtal to the engine.
There are a multitude of good books on the subject. You need to get one and study it. Learn to do the math required to correctly size the turbo or expect to waste a lot of time and money.
It can be done- I am not trying to discourage you, but its obvious you need to educate yourself or face disappointment.

zigzkidz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have studied some books and they recommend exhaust housing .96-1.15 and the compressor at .60-.70

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online